modulation in trilogy/trillian?

Laf32

i am trying to achieve this type of playing that you can see in this video with f major as he uses the mod wheel while playing the bass to get a really funky sound. Altruwest TV Episode 6 pt 2: Studio Electronics SE-1 - YouTube

my question is , is there a way to achieve this sound in trillian or trilogy by setting up the mod parameters I cant figure it out. also maybe my midi isnt that good. if i can get the mod playing style like in this video in these two programs then ill stick with that otherwise im thinking of dropping a grand on a used se-1.

that is pitch bend not modulation

- he is using the pitch bend controller to provide a controlled wide upward vibrato,
- a similar technique can be used to mimic hammer-ons/pull-offs,

A bass player using a fretted instrument can only vibrato upwards by bending the string through a microtonal range up to a major 2nd (2 semitones)

Last edited:
hmm vibrato huh? that makes sense man i always thought it was the mod wheel. now i guess i gotta figure out how to get this same effect in trilogy otherwise i might have to cop me one of these.

hmm vibrato huh? that makes sense man i always thought it was the mod wheel. now i guess i gotta figure out how to get this same effect in trilogy otherwise i might have to cop me one of these.

the trick to realising it is a pitch bend is that it using the older (pre-MIDI) horizontal style lever; the early MIDI keyboards for some reason made the pitch bend vertical (probably to save space, although it crapped out on functionality) newer keyboards tend to have reverted to the horizontal pitch bend control.

Doing this with a mod wheel is trickier than first thoughts might suggest. This is mostly to do with the structure of modulation sources in most synths - they are usually an oscillator whose amplitude/effect on the target is increased by the application of the mod wheel:
  • high mod wheel value, high intensity/amplitude applied to the target;
  • low mod wheel value, low amplitude/intensity applied to the target
  • the frequency of the modulation source is not changed unless you have some fancy pitch modding going on as well.

So think about using the pitch bend controller set to +/- 2 semitones and only push the pitch controller to the positive side.

the trick to realising it is a pitch bend is that it using the older (pre-MIDI) horizontal style lever; the early MIDI keyboards for some reason made the pitch bend vertical (probably to save space, although it crapped out on functionality) newer keyboards tend to have reverted to the horizontal pitch bend control.

Doing this with a mod wheel is trickier than first thoughts might suggest. This is mostly to do with the structure of modulation sources in most synths - they are usually an oscillator whose amplitude/effect on the target is increased by the application of the mod wheel:
  • high mod wheel value, high intensity/amplitude applied to the target;
  • low mod wheel value, low amplitude/intensity applied to the target
  • the frequency of the modulation source is not changed unless you have some fancy pitch modding going on as well.
So think about using the pitch bend controller set to +/- 2 semitones and only push the pitch controller to the positive side.

yeah man im just trying to figure out how to do all this in software because for some reason it seems easier to do in hardware synths. ive been using programs like trilogy and trillian for instance in fruity loops for bass. and i can get the pitch bend to do that battlecat shit just find but for the love of me i cant get synth leads and bass vsts to do the vibrato style playing we are talking about. you think its just fruity loops being insuffient? what do you recommend because if i could just find a way to get my bass and leads to do this i would really have no need for hardware.

I'd recommend going with a real simple soft synth like sylenth or thor (reason) and learning the basic functions. You can get all that west coast sounds!!

yeah man im just trying to figure out how to do all this in software because for some reason it seems easier to do in hardware synths. ive been using programs like trilogy and trillian for instance in fruity loops for bass. and i can get the pitch bend to do that battlecat shit just find but for the love of me i cant get synth leads and bass vsts to do the vibrato style playing we are talking about. you think its just fruity loops being insuffient? what do you recommend because if i could just find a way to get my bass and leads to do this i would really have no need for hardware.

you can do it with soft synths but you need an external controller ..... mousing in individual values for a pitch bend controller is a waste of time unless you are going to use the full range of values in a very short space of time - monotonous and mind-numbing to enter let alone to get sounding good -better to just use the controller to add the gee-whiz factor after mousing in the notes.

Word of warning: the first few times that you try to do this it will sound like sh1te; as with all things, practice will improve the accuracy of your use of the control and obtaining teh effect that you want...

i have an external controller a m audio keyrig 49 key. its nothing special just something simple. but I have no idea how or if its even possible to set up programs such as minimonsta, trilogy, or trillian to play like f major int hat video!

of course it is.

you need to route the midi input from your controller so that it is sending messages to your softsynth as you are recording the data stream. Your daw's manual has more specific instructions on how to do that.

Back