modern musical forms

No books out there unfortunately (at least that I am aware of)....

This - Bandcoach ~ Beginning Theory 3: Song Structures - offers some insights into musical form for song production. It kind of stops at around 1995 in terms of tunes analysed, but the concepts are still applicable today.

It is important to remember that in modern song forms the structure is based around the lyrical content rather than the musical content.

So identifying lyrical structures is the first step to creating your backings.

This does not mean that you cannot use other musical structure ideas like solo and bridge and interlude, but that they are subservient to the lyrical structure and presentation.

As always bandcoach has great advice.

I might also add that the best way to learn about structure is flat out just listening. The structure of every song is laid out for you and presented to you. If you broke the tracks you enjoy listening to down you will find patterns. (ie 32 bar verse 1, 8 bar prechorus, ect ect). Analyse a couple songs just using this method. Counting the bars and identifying what service they play to the track you are listening to...if you do this enough you will have developed your intuition to the point of grasping the structure without the need to sit down and break it up.

Practice listening, I know it sounds esoteric and boring but throw a track up in your DAW and splice it up according to the sections. Then once you have a formula in bar counts save it. You can always come back to it if you need inspiration. This is a common practice among DJs and structure analysis will only help you..in fact I think it is faster than learning from a book just because it is much more "ears on".

Back