Mixing Hihats/Cyms/Kicks/Snares MONO orSTEREO?

T

Trac_Runnaz

Real quick Questions peps, which is better for my mixes stereo or mono.
i make beats in FL v3.56 and they are all stereo, i mix them down in PT v6.1.1 should i pan stereo <R50><L50> or jus <R50> MONO? give some feedback holla at cha Boy Young "T.C" Flame of Trac Runnaz

Mono is fine if that's what you want.

Sometimes my hats are a bit offset to one side or the other but generally my drum tracks I like centered.

It depends on the track and your personal taste.

keep your hi hats a touch 2 the left, your snares and kicks in the centre and pan your cymbals out wide. People say it's best to do kiks & snares in mono but if you put them in stereo and it sounds better, I guess that would be better then

Kicks are almost always mono -- Having a powerful bass sound panned to one side is not only highly annoying but, as I understand, can permanantly damage some PA systems.

Snares/claps are usually mono too, but it's not unheard of to pan them or add some stereo width (Stereo delay, phase inversion, etc.). Totally up to you.

Hats usually do get some panning and/or stereo expansion. It varies a lot from piece to piece, but hats are usually *not* left in mono.

Cymbals are usually off to the side, but like hats, the choice is up to you.

"Better" is in the end, just your own personal choice. Do what sounds best to you.

I make every instrument stereo but considering the genre I make it ain't that weird...

Have your bass drums snares centred, Sometimes it adds to the track if you pan the hihat to the left, If you have any other cymbal in the beat pan them to the right.

I record all my tracks mono, then pan while mixing. The only time I record stereo tracks is when the patch I am using is doing some funky modulation to the panning itself.

it definately depends on genere and tastes. sometimes i keep it all mostly centered. sometimes i pan it in a way that matches the typical placement of drums in the physical world.

I need to have stereo percussion to make it more groovy ( stereo delay rules ...)Thick percussional lines are the best, bassdrum can be in mono tho to save some of the stereospectrum!

Last edited by a moderator:
subatomic vision said:
I need to have stereo percussion to make it more groovy ( stereo delay rules ...)Thick percussional lines are the best, bassdrum can be in mono tho to save some of the stereospectrum!

yeh i second this post and add the bassdrum can be stereo provided its titely in key

All of the drum track elements start off in Mono essentially. how you mix them is highly up to you as most have already said. nobody has addressed the different techniques used to mix drums. You can pan all over the place with overheads and hats and such but what perspective are you mixing from. Drummers or Engineers? kick should stay center to anchor the track... pan how you want to hear the rest of them. If your in PTools and dont want a train wreck of freguencies then use some creativity in your panning and usage of effects. It's all art, use your artistic judgement and have a fun with it...... take care.

wonpeace said:

yeh i second this post and add the bassdrum can be stereo provided its titely in key

It can even be offkey a little with some distortion like in

Wizzy Noise- Acid 33

I always use stereo bass in my beats (rap productions) and always have problems making them clean: do you think a stereo bassline can muddy the mix more than a mono one? It has some sense (most subwoofers are mono too!)

I think the bassline must be panned at center like kick drum to give punch at the groove for make your neck go up and down, u know I mean? any disapoint?

Stereo or mono?

Last edited by a moderator:
It has more to do with cutting certain frequencies in ur bassline and bassdrum than with mono or stereo...

I.........ahhhhh.........

DAMMIT LANSTARR

I was gonna respond with some knowledge but I just cant help staring at ur sig.....
lanstarrbanner2.gif

ahhhhh.......bounce.....bounce......bounce.......

Back