minor 6th chords

Axxe

Axxe
From what i have understood the formula for these are, 1 3b 5 6...but lets say a minor c6 chord. that chord consist of C Eb G A..here is where im a bit confused. isnt the 6th degree of the scale an Ab? so what is the logic behind this, cus the A is not in the scale of Cminor? it would be cool if someone could explain this..thanks alot

- AXXE

There are three minor scales to build from natural, harmonic and melodic. The natural minor has a flat 3,6, and 7 compared to the major scale. Harmonic minor raise the 7, Melodic minor raise the 6 and 7 from the Natural minor scale.

Google chord house piano. For some stupid Fukkin reason it comes up as a virus site, but its not, its got all the chords laid out on a piano roll.

yeah i know that there are three minor scales but a regular minor 6th chord are based upon the natural minor with the 3 6 and 7 flatted... this is why i cant understand why a lets say a minor 6th chord has a A and not a Ab in it..

You can play whichever one you want to. There are 3 different variants of aug6 chords but, I don't remember which is which and I don't wanna give you the wrong info. Basically it comes down to what you resolve it to. Different styles used different variations of it depending on what was after it. What you play after it and how strong of a resolution you want. I was trying to dig up an example I knew of in a Stevie Wonder song I was trying to find in one of my notebooks somewhere but couldn't find it. I know one use is I, Iaug, I6 or C, Caug, C6 for example. You should be able to recognize this from a whole gang of songs it's just an ascending progression. You can try different variations in there and depending on what you play next it will sound a little different. Some resolutions will be stronger than others you just have to determine what sounds better for your song. This is the how I see it used in RnB most of the time beyond that it's classical theory and you can look up tritone substitution and should be able to find some uses there in jazz also. I just don't have that information off the top of my head.

ahh its from the melodic scale, so all the minor chords are based upon the melodic scale.? or maybe not? thanks

No and no...

I think the only sweeping conclusion you can make about what scales for what chords is that its the right scale if the chord can be extended (7 note chord extension) to equal all the notes in that scale - each scale note can be the root of several chords.

And the most effective, all-inclusive, way of doing that is comparing chord formulas to mode formulas...

I just use chord/scale software that automates that process.

Last edited:
From what i have understood the formula for these are, 1 3b 5 6...but lets say a minor c6 chord. that chord consist of C Eb G A..here is where im a bit confused. isnt the 6th degree of the scale an Ab? so what is the logic behind this, cus the A is not in the scale of Cminor? it would be cool if someone could explain this..thanks alot

- AXXE

No but diatonically the Cm6 chord can be played in the natural minor scale of G. In any natural minor scale you can play a m6 chord on the 4th degree. In C natural minor it's an Fm6. It can also be played on the 2nd degree of a major scale and Dorian mode. Melodic minor which has been mentioned can also feature a m6 chord on the 1st degree diatonically.

Wouldn't worry about it, just be aware of what's going on harmonically and play what is relevant to the music and what feel you are trying to get.

ok thanks, and could u please tell me the ``normal`` fingering for these chords and 7chords? is it 1 3 4 5 with the left hand and 1 2 4 5 with the right? Because when i started learning how to play i think i messed up on the fingering, and i want to change right now before its too late..

Well I'd play a m6 with 1 hand, as in cm6 C/Eb/G/A thumb, first finger, ( middle finger just resting on F ) and G and A with the last 2 fingers. With a cm7th, I'd just raise my little finger onto the Bb. I tend to play chords with 5 notes or more with 2 hands.

I play chords with right hand, left hand fingers around bass or lower chord notes. I'm self taught anyway so I doubt I am the one to ask about playing technique, I probably have very bad habits. To be honest, I don't think too much about it, just like you don't think about driving when you are driving. It's all muscle memory and patterns. You could get a book out from a local library which should cover the basics for you and then get as much free info as you can via the net. It's not difficult to be able to play relatively fluently.

k, yeah i know i try not to think about it either, but i just want to get some fingering down on those chords before i evolve because i will never be able to correct it later, its even hard for me now. cus i know i need to change my fingering from the 7th chords when i play some chords with more complex finger placement..thanks for the input man, appreciate it:)

Back