Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Making your Kicks REALLLLY Knock....

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    deranged is far from a dickhead....

Thanks
    Maybe... but he definitely came across like one.
    Mac G5 Dual Processor w/ 6 gigs of SDRAM, Lacie 1 Terabyte External HD, Lacie 150 Gig External HD, Control|24 Worksurface, DigiDesign 002 Rack, Pro Tools LE 7.3, Music Production Toolkit, Reason 3, Recycle, Melodyne Studio 3, Focusrites Liquid Mix, Roland V-Synth GT, Fantom X6 Keyboard, Motif Rack ES, MPC 1000, 2 KRK V8 Series II Monitors, 2 Near 05 Monitors, Blue Dragonfly Mic,

Thanks
    deranged sometimes seems like a d!ckhead because ppl sometimes ask questions on how to mix, or get drums to bang harder, and someone will give tips that while may work might be unecessarily difficult or long to do. then deranged comes in and says something like "leveling and panning is all you need to get a decent mix" and the person who wrote 2 pages on how to eq and compress everything gets pisssed. a lot of times stuff is a lot simpler than we think, such as simply turning down the volume on everything else in order to make your kick stand out.

Thanks
    Well...sorry this has turned into a lil disagreement but i appreciate all of you for your input and im sure others who will read this would say the same.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RickySaL
    deranged sometimes seems like a d!ckhead because ppl sometimes ask questions on how to mix, or get drums to bang harder, and someone will give tips that while may work might be unecessarily difficult or long to do. then deranged comes in and says something like "leveling and panning is all you need to get a decent mix" and the person who wrote 2 pages on how to eq and compress everything gets pisssed. a lot of times stuff is a lot simpler than we think, such as simply turning down the volume on everything else in order to make your kick stand out.
    Fair enough.

In all actuality you shouldn't eq or compress anything until mix time. But I was simply answering the guys question the best way I could.

It's no big deal... just wasn't feelin' his post. IMO he came off super arrogant and I just thought it was uncalled for.

Of course I shouldn't have called duke a dickhead but that's me... I call it like I see it. Sometimes though that's not the best approach and I do understand that.

Mr. West I hope there's enough info in this thread to answer your question. If you have any additional questions just PM me instead... as to avoid any disagreements etc.

Goodluck bro!

K
    Mac G5 Dual Processor w/ 6 gigs of SDRAM, Lacie 1 Terabyte External HD, Lacie 150 Gig External HD, Control|24 Worksurface, DigiDesign 002 Rack, Pro Tools LE 7.3, Music Production Toolkit, Reason 3, Recycle, Melodyne Studio 3, Focusrites Liquid Mix, Roland V-Synth GT, Fantom X6 Keyboard, Motif Rack ES, MPC 1000, 2 KRK V8 Series II Monitors, 2 Near 05 Monitors, Blue Dragonfly Mic,

Thanks
    nice tips
    Last edited by TonyV; 07-13-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks
    Why is it I alway "come off as the d!ckhead elitist", because somebody who think they know something spit bullsh*t and I'm nice enough to correct it without calling them out.

We'll do it your way tho. Since I've already been called a d!ckhead for no reason.

1. Compression is a leveling tool. Some idiot in the history of hip hop said compressing kick made them hit harder, and every other idiot who can't think for themselves enough to figure out sh*t on their own followed the formula. As a certified engineer I can tell you compression won't do sh*t positive to a kick. It just f**ks up the dynamics and makes it harder for a professional to fix when the time comes. However, compression is a fair game practice when using multiple instruments to give everything it's place in a mix. You don't compress for more thump/knock, you compress to make sounds sit well in a mix. Most scenarios, pan and voilume go alot further and if any compression is needed, usually moderate ammounts. It was different in analog era but we in a digital age, quit listening to RZA, his sound quality is not current.

2. Idiots often think "layering" is the answer when "overlaying" is part of any project. Quality stock drums come in everything from FL to Reason to MPC to Triton. "Layering" is the process of sticking 2 sounds together to make a new sound. "Overlaying" is creating compositions where 2 sounds hit at the same time. Believe it or not, professionals practice "overlaying" way more than "layering" one is a form of sound design(layering), while the other is a form of creating music where you continuously fill in empty space until your song is full. I advise the second, but it's up to you to choose your path.

3. Most speakers don't pick up lows well. Stuff below 40hz is often muffled. Lots of engineers like there lows around 78hz or higher.

Sorry for opening my mouth in the first place. Hope ya music stays sounding like sh*t if you don't wanna learn nothing. Mine's is aiight. I don't need help making drums knock. And I don't get my info off no website written by some other random smart-dumb muhfukka who halfway know what he talking about.

This was done in Reason with stock drums. No layering, no freq adjustment, no compression/EQ, just use of Vol, Pan, and the M Class Limiter for loudness on export. Get like me, since I'm such a "d!ckhead knowitall", it shouldn't be hard, byches. You ain't gotta tell me it's hot, you know it is even tho you won't, and I got nikkas that matter who tell me.
    Last edited by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup; 07-13-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup
    Why is it I alway "come off as the d!ckhead elitist", because somebody who think they know something spit bullsh*t and I'm nice enough to correct it without calling them out.

We'll do it your way tho. Since I've already been called a d!ckhead for no reason.

1. Compression is a leveling tool. Some idiot in the history of hip hop said compressing kick made them hit harder, and every other idiot who can't think for themselves enough to figure out sh*t on their own followed the formula. As a certified engineer I can tell you compression won't do sh*t positive to a kick. It just f**ks up the dynamics and makes it harder for a professional to fix when the time comes. However, compression is a fair game practice when using multiple instruments to give everything it's place in a mix. You don't compress for more thump/knock, you compress to make sounds sit well in a mix. Most scenarios, pan and voilume go alot further and if any compression is needed, usually moderate ammounts. It was different in analog era but we in a digital age, quit listening to RZA, his sound quality is not current.

2. Idiots often think "layering" is the answer when "overlaying" is part of any project. Quality stock drums come in everything from FL to Reason to MPC to Triton. "Layering" is the process of sticking 2 sounds together to make a new sound. "Overlaying" is creating compositions where 2 sounds hit at the same time. Believe it or not, professionals practice "overlaying" way more than "layering" one is a form of sound design(layering), while the other is a form of creating music where you continuously fill in empty space until your song is full. I advise the second, but it's up to you to choose your path.

3. Most speakers don't pick up lows well. Stuff below 40hz is often muffled. Lots of engineers like there lows around 78hz or higher.

Sorry for opening my mouth in the first place. Hope ya music stays sounding like sh*t if you don't wanna learn nothing. Mine's is aiight. I don't need help making drums knock. And I don't get my info off no website written by some other random smart-dumb muhfukka who halfway know what he talking about.

This was done in Reason with stock drums. No layering, no freq adjustment, no compression/EQ, just use of Vol, Pan, and the M Class Limiter for loudness on export. Get like me, since I'm such a "d!ckhead knowitall", it shouldn't be hard, byches. You ain't gotta tell me it's hot, you know it is even tho you won't, and I got nikkas that matter who tell me.
    Hey frenchfry... I don't give a **** if you were Dr. Dre himself... you came off like a dickhead... and STILL do.

You're an arrogant faggot ELITIST who talks down to other kids on this forum because you have 60 billion posts and some little bull**** soundclick site.

That says somethin' about the time that you spend.

I don't give a **** who vouches for you or none of that name dropping bull****... you came off like a douchebag. Period.

Everyone has their own "way" of doing ****. Some people believe in religion. Some don't.

I just have a problem with those that try to force their beliefs onto others in an arrogant condescending manner.

The tips I gave him were just common knowledge and any "experienced" engineer or producer would have known that and NOT replied.

Why'd you even reply? To swing your little dick around?

**** off buddy. I'm sick of internet keyboard warriors who know it all.

Thanks
    Is this dude comparing religion to layering kicks? Krumbz right now your looking like the dick head. It got was pretty solid advise. If you don't like it don't read it.
    Last edited by noblewordz; 07-13-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks
    To Krumbz:

Nigga f*ck u.

That's the most words you worth me typing.
    Last edited by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup; 07-13-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Thread Information