making the move from mixing to creating

S

se7en_samurai

could you please explain to me the process of changing from record-playing DJ to Break collecting DJ yo using samplers and sequencing software. what exactly does a sampler do-why is it external.
can you simply use a sampler with turntables.
thanks
andres

When you DJ you play music that was done by producers with their sequencers, samplers, synths. Thats the way modern dance music is made.

Sampler

It is a electronic musical instrument witch can record sounds into its memory and play them back.

Plug in some Mic or CD or Synth or Turntable, adjust the record level and some parameters and press the REC button as you play your sound sources.

Press the Stop button.

Now what?

The recorded sound is called now a Sample.

It is in the samplers memory. If you like to use it again you need to store it on floppy or harddisk or whatsoever.

Trim the sample. Adjust some parameters.

If you have a MIDI keyboard you may connect them and play the sound.

Well music consists of more sound playing at the same time.

So i can sample all the breaks, loops, FX, instruments and have them ready to be played on the keboard. But how to automate all that playing and trigering of those wunderfull grooves? Use the sequencer.

Assing the samples on witch keys to be played and also a MIDI chanel (??)

Example:

Groove1 on c1
Groove2 on d1
Break on e1

All on MIDI channel 10

Bassline na c1
Bassline break on d2

on MIDI ch 2

FXs on varius keys c1, d2, e3 and so on..

on ... MIDI ch 3

OK

Now...

Don't forget to connect your seq computer with the sampler via MIDI!

Program the sequncer track #1 Groove

Say, lets play the note c1, after awile d2, then d2, then the break on e3. And all these notes shall go on MIDI ch10

Then you make another track, give a discriptive name and start to write the order of the notes to be played for your basslines. On CH2. MIDI.

Then another tracks. For the FX. You may have 1 track - 1 FX sample, but all shell send the notes to the FX MIDI channel you set on you sampler. 3th ch.

Play the seq.

Wow!

The groove, bassline and some fx play all together.

Seq says to the sampler:

For you MIDI ch10 i have this note c1. Play it!

Sampler: thak you! Let me see which sample do i have on the c1 key. A yess... The Groove1. Now playing! :)

Seq: C1 for MIDI ch2

Sampler: C1 on ch2.., The bassline. Playing!

Seq: C1, G#3 for ch3

Sampler: playing the samples on C1,G#3 on ch3!

Thiss happens very fast so you perceive sounds playing at the same time. Or... when ever programed to play in time.

Then while the seq is playing you start adjusting the levels of the samples, pan, FX send and such untill you are satisfied. For in depth mix you may conect your samplers many outputs (if provided) to separate mixer chanels and twist (and shout) you music till satisfied!

Uhhhh.........

I hope this will help you understand how the things are working!

Cheers!

Back