Thread: Making a first song...

Thanks

Making a first song...

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi,
    I am a new producer and I took an online course on FL Studio so I pretty much understand everything and know how to work my way through Fruity but now I really want to produce my first song but I have no idea in what order do I need to make an electronic song (EDM). Do I come up with a melody first or what? Anyway, thank you for answering!

Thanks
    Hi David,

It's difficult to explain how to make a track, because for every producer it's a different process, based on how you feel, how inspired you are etc.

I'll try to explain how I made my latest release 'Forever'. (You can find the track on spotify and soundcloud (Kevin Gijsen Forever))

In my opinion the most simple thing to do when you don't have inspiration or a melody in mind is to make chords. Just 4x4 bars in a certain BPM ofcourse.
    Try some notes and try to catch the feeling of the chords, then you can make a melody within the chords. When I dont have any inspiration I Always start with the chords. Make a sound in your synthesizer and start playing chords.

Sometimes I'll start with the drop, the other time I start with a buildup or a chorus, you'll have to experience it to get to know what suits you the best. That can be a hard process but try to learn something everyday.

1. Pick a synth who you can layer in your piano Roll (I Always create one with 8 voices (sylenth1))
    2. Create some chords
    3. Write the melody in the same scale as your chords
    4. Lowest notes as the bass (Ofcourse)

I hope my answer helped you a bit, if you want to know more of have some other questions, you can send me a direct message or email me.
    Last edited by Kevin Gijsen; 03-09-2018 at 03:48 AM.

Thanks
    I usually come up with a bass line or chord progression first. Or I find a sample I really dig and make a track around that. Honestly just do what comes to your mind first and work around that!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cias View Post
    I usually come up with a bass line or chord progression first. Or I find a sample I really dig and make a track around that. Honestly just do what comes to your mind first and work around that!
    Best so far! No matter what I start off with I look at it like DRUMS or INSTRUMENTS. Whether its a sample I'll consider that an instrument, or the bass I'll consider that a part of the drums. You gotta FEEL IT man otherwise you gon make some HOT garbage.... lmfao
    Wanna take your piano playing to the next level like Zaytoven & Scott Storch?
    Check out my YouTube channel for producers! Producer Principles

Thread Information