Mac composing

N

nutter007

Whats a good start up kit for composing on the mac??

I've tried Groovemaker and found it confusing and I didn't feel that I had much control over the song! (Too much press the random button).

Haven't ever tried composing before but I've been Djing for a few years and I want to experiment!

I found a drum machine/loop maker Virtual Drummer and had a lot of fun with it but I need something much more complex.

Budget is almost non existent (times are hard) but wouldn't mind getting a feel for composing some garage/drum + bass loops to satisfy curiosity! Want something where I can be particular about where each beat and hi hat goes!

If anyone could help I would be most greatful as I'm running out of options!

Thanks Klang

Well you can go with Reason, also available on Mac, a kind of all-in-one tool (sampler, synth, sequencer, ect..), browse the board there are already a lot of threads about that soft.
Rebirth too, but it's very limited.

If you can have an external sampler, check cubasis from steinberg a light version of cubase VST, a good start and enough powerful to start to create your own tracks, it also have 8 audio tracks if my memory is good. Great for editing your drum parts using the Key or Drum edit.

:)

Hey there...you nutter! hehe, just wanted to say that.
If u have been dj-ing for years, then u have most of the musical maturity u need. Now u just need the skills.
Try out demo versions of stuff. i don't have a defineable theory, but different people need to look at different styles of colour matching and shape placement within the "User Interface" of their software music tools in order to let the creative flow glow.
I some of the sounds ican get from the software synth on the mac called "Vibra9000". has cool sounds. Needs a little 'midi controller synth" to input notes in order for it to respond.
The "Waldorf PPG" soft synth is the same, and runs easily with cubase - definately worth trying out that combination, just to see if it works for you. Oh, BTW - the PPG gets some hot sounds without much tweaking at all.
AND...the Waldorf Attack is being brought out soon and it is the percussion software synth (to run in conjunction with cubase). I get the feeling it will be sooper duper nice tweakable sounds. About 150 US. Worth to try it out as a demo version, if that is available.
Good luck.

Also consider Mixman Studio Pro...

It's along the same lines as Groovemaker, but with much better features (IMO), and it runs for about 80 US$. If you're just wanting something to "cut your teeth on," so to speak, it's not a bad deal, especially if your budget is non-existent. It's what I'm using at the moment, and I'm brand-spanking new to this whole "desktop-based composition" thingie myself--and no DJ experience whatsoever, to boot.

Check out this site for details: http://www.mixman.com

Pan's Blessings,
SoulDrummer

Back