Looking for suggestions on colleges/grad schools

catnap

Major Label Whore
hi everyone,

i'm looking for suggestions on schools with excellent undergrad or (preferably) graduate programs that deal with music synthesis, composition, digital music, and multimedia applications. I have a BA in Studio Art from Kenyon College, and I have several years of self-taught and on-the-job experience as a web designer, graphic designer, and most importantly, computer-based musician.

i really want to put a professional polish on the skills i've been slowly learning, but i'm not sure where to look. while i want focus on audio applications, with all the years of art school and graphic design experience i have, i'd like to find a school that will help me in these areas, too - especially in ways that combine digital audio with other digital media. i'm not looking for a strictly tech/trade school - while i am at home in a professional recording studio or behind a big PA rig, that's not where i want a career.

any and all suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

thanks,
sim*n

I don't think they offer any visual arts/graphics classes...
But if you're interested in music (particularly synthesizers and music technology), Boston's Berklee College of Music is the forerunner in these areas.
But it's a very acclaimed school. So, you'll have to be the cream of the crop if you hope to get in.
Good Luck!

Berklee is great for music tech and synthesis. i actually just got accepted there. their facilities are sick (the website def. doesn't do them justice). The studios are absolutely beautiful, and well equipped. Plus, you're surrounded by 3500 other amazing musicians, and your teachers have all worked on projects you would recognize. As for grad school, i think NYU has a Music Technology Masters program. The thing about Berklee is that you have to want to learn music, not just music tech. You'll be taking arranging, harmony and ear training up the *** for your first 2 years before you get to the technology. However, producers should all have a B.M. anyway, so you might as well kill 2 birds w/ one stone and get the tech and theory at one place.

Berklee is great for music tech and synthesis. i actually just got accepted there. their facilities are sick (the website def. doesn't do them justice). The studios are absolutely beautiful, and well equipped. Plus, you're surrounded by 3500 other amazing musicians, and your teachers have all worked on projects you would recognize. As for grad school, i think NYU has a Music Technology Masters program. The thing about Berklee is that you have to want to learn music, not just music tech. You'll be taking arranging, harmony and ear training up the *** for your first 2 years before you get to the technology. However, producers should all have a B.M. anyway, so you might as well kill 2 birds w/ one stone and get the tech and theory at one place.

www.berklee.edu

OBLIQUE:
This post has nothing to do with the thread.
But you subtext is killing me.
I, too, was accepted to Berklee--what seems like many moons ago (1989). I didn't go because I couldn't afford to, then. I play the trumpet and was, at one time, a farely accomplished vocalist, having performed with everyone from Luciano Pavorotti (sp) to Teddy Pendergrass. And I have Acid and Fruity Loops loaded on my computer. Naturally, I have a bunch of other software as well, but those two titles do play a role in what I do. And, believe it or not, their are a bunch of working musicians with registered copies of Acid and Fruity. So, don't take yourself so seriously. I know you got accepted to Berklee, but lighten up! And, by the way, congratulations.
Good luck!

fair enough. maybe i should have limited it to people who rely solely on frooty. anyway, i wasn't trying to play up the berklee thing to say i'm better than anyone. thanks for the congrats.

P.S. I don't by any means take myself seriously. it's the biggest mistake you can make in music.

well, its alright, i guess. i was hoping to hear some of your "computer tech composed" music since you seem to enjoy harping on fruityloops and acid. heh......

what the hell are you talking about? we did that on protools, which, unless i'm mistaken, is the industry standard for COMPUTER recording software. some people have this idea that if you're a computer-based producer, you have to be cranking out techno beats, which is rediculous. I'm pretty sure that mixing a real drum kit is a hell of a lot more difficult than converting a MIDI drum track to audio and adding Eq. so, if you want to hear some "computer tech composed" music, go listen to moby, because i don't make it. the reason i harped on frooty (which i shouldn't have done, because some very legit producers use it) is because it seems like people have no clue what recording is, and rather than actually learn how to use a microphone, they just draw out MIDI tracks on Frooty and add siren noises and old sci-fi movie quotes and call it "techno."
so, i'm sorry if recording/mixing/producing a REAL band who plays REAL instruments is not enough for you.

"they just draw out MIDI tracks on Frooty and add siren noises and old sci-fi movie quotes and call it "techno."
so, i'm sorry if recording/mixing/producing a REAL band who plays REAL instruments is not enough for you."

whatever, dude. all you have to say is "i suck at making beats", dont worry, we'll understand!

and heres some food for thought: what makes one instrument any REALER than another? software is a multi-instrument. it was created by an external force, just like a guitar or a drumset or ANYTHING.

only a misguided fag who cant make beats would disagree. heh.

wow, i'm a fag because i suck at making beats. dude, i don't make "beats" because i don't want to. and for the record, software is NOT an instrument... you can't go to juliard or crane or berklee and play the frooty loops. and the thing that makes one instrument "realer" than another is that guitars, drums and pianos actually use mechanical energy to produce sound. at least keyboards look and feel like pianos.

no offense to people who make computer based music, most of it is cool. but since so many people can download frooty for free off Kazaa, there's too many people who have no clue what they're doing making "beats"

"and the thing that makes one instrument "realer" than another is that guitars, drums and pianos actually use mechanical energy to produce sound"

so now "mechanical energy" is what defines a "real sound"?

if it makes a sound and that sound can be manipulated and applied rhyhtmically and melodically, its totally an instrument. and i dont need to go to BERKLEE SCHOOL OF HARD COCKS to find that **** out!!

FRUITYLOOPS 4 EVA

edit: whoa, whats up with S-H-I-T being censored and COCKS not?

Last edited by a moderator:
real sound and real instrument are totally different things. besides, all sounds are compression waves, which are...

that's right, mechanical energy!!!!!!!!!

by the way, maybe you SHOULD go to berklee or crane, you might learn how to play a real instrument.

"besides, all sounds are compression waves, which are...

that's right, mechanical energy!!!!!!!!! "

thanks for contradicting your previous point, and proving my point for me-- ***.

and as for the semantics of my word usage ("sound", "instrument"), you know what im talkin' about.

like, seriously. a ****ing tamborine is considered an instrument. so a ROCK can totally be an instrument. so can a PACK OF SUGAR. its all in the application, yo. if fruityloops is being used to make music-- its an instrument.

in fact, out of all your points, the only one you've made with any consistency is that universities dictate what stands as a real instrument. gay.

no, the point that i was making is that obviously all sounds are "real" sounds, but not everything that makes noise is an instrument. If it doesn't vibrate to make sound, it's not an instrument. it's that simple. you can make music with a computer, but that doesn't make it an instrument.

and a quick question...
do you play any instruments other than frooty loops? and if so, do you do it with any proficiency?

ALL SOUNDS VIBRATE. THATS WHAT MAKES THEM A SOUND. if a guitar is being played through a computer, its not all of a sudden UNREAL. but you're basically saying the difference between recording it through a mic or through midi cable is what defines an instruments REALITY??? GAY????

face it yo, RANDOM SOUND-MAKING OBJECTS are what pioneered the **** you're glorifying as "the only real instruments" today.

and no, i cant play an instrument, no, i dont know how to play the skin flute, no, i dont want to know how to play the skin flute

this argument officially sucks!!!!!

What particularly sucks about this argument is that it's all about ego.

Why do people have to make out everyone else as losers to try and make themselves feel better?

I never can quite figure out what you guys are so insecure about.

Back