Looking for the perfect sub bass? VST or Sample?

The Burglar

Please share with the community on what you believe are some of your favorite sub basses that you can get and how to make them. Is it a sub sample or maybe a simple detuned sine wave ect. Then how do you treat it. ?? Effects reverb or Dry whatb

If you use Logic EXS24 it has an amazing pure sine wave. And about plugins with every single one in the market you can make decent sub basses. I tend to leave my sub bass clean, eq and probably a chorus or distortion to have more harmonics, But unless I am making Techno or something I would apply reverb through a bus.

For subbass, my go-to synth is actually Sylenth1. If you have a decent computer, Sylenth can produce a very powerful subbass from a simple Sine wave. I'll usually use 2 oscillators because 3-4 is (to me) often unnecessary for sub bass. I usually don't distort it, but if you wanna go for a grittier bass like something from Travis $cott - Antidote, I would definitely add some clean distortion. I'll usually then EQ it to my mix, and will add a little bit of compression. No reverb really, but what I do is I often process subbass through Dada Life's Sausage Fattener plugin to make it bigger. Literally 2 knobs to make the sound fatter and change the timbre. Highly recommend trying it through Sylenth with minimal processing. Remember that it takes a really skilled producer to realize when you SHOULDN'T mess with something except for the fader level.

Last edited:
open audacity go to generate > tone. then pick sine and set to 65.5 hz and make it as long as you want. export it as a wav then import to your daw

Back