Logic Audio

Flexa

Hi all! Its been a while since I last posted anything here. Been quite busy and have started a new job. I have however a slight problem. My friend recently went to work abroad and I have inherited his computer. It’s a p3 550 with 128mb sdram. It has logic 404 installed on the d drive with about 2gb of spare space on. When I run logic the midi works fine but when I try to import a wave file it gives the error message “Pc av: stopped device disk or cpu too slow. I have fiddled with just about every option and still it won’t work… Can it be that my p3 550 is not up to the job? I find that hard to believe. If anyone out there can help me then I would be very grateful. There might even be a reward!!! :O) Thanks again

-Flexa-

hey there flexa,
i am a logic user myself and i used to get the same error messages. i may be of some service to you...
1) you need to make absolutely sure that your hard drive speed runs at at least 7200rpms. this is one of the most common reasons why people get error messages on computers that were meant for consumer use.
2) the pIII you have is fine, but i would recommend more ram. i added 256mb's to my existing 128 and found a considerable boost in performance. ram is so cheap now with 256 sticks going for like 100 bucks at:
http://www.pricewatch.com
3) make sure your soundcard allows recording and playback simultaneously. i know some consumer grade soundcards like the SB's don't allow you to do this. with the soundcard, find out if it has ASIO drivers. if it does, utilize them by selecting them for your logic drivers.
4) Reduce the color depth on the system to 256 if you are using a PCI
video card. If your video card is AGP, then set the Color Depth no higher
than 16 bit.
5) In the System Properties>Performance>Graphics window, reduce the
"Hardware Acceleration" setting.
6) In the System Properties>Performance>File System window, set the
typical role of the computer to either "Desktop System" or "Network
Server" Also, set the 'Read Ahead Optimization" to "None".
7) Switch off "Auto Insert Notification" for your CD drive.
8) In the "System.ini" file, limit the swap file size by inserting the
following lines under [vcache]

MinFileCache=8192
MaxFileCache=8192

9) try not to record long files. do not use many plugins at the insert points, use them in the busses.

all of these helped me a great deal, and the tips i have shared with you are endorsed by emagic so don't fear...
however, don't use all of these tips at once, take it one by one until your problem is solved...

peace,
hypnotik
http://www.mp3.com/hypnotik

Back