keyboard playing help

ShySlugg

So when i usually start a beat i kind of just mess around on the keyboard till something sounds good. The problem is that can take time and i seem to end up playing the same notes every time E, G ,B C, those are the only notes that i know will sound good together lol and that makes all my tracks to end up sounding the same. someone told me to open up pitcher in fl and use that as a guideline but i can never get anything good out of that either iv'e never really focused on keys and scales or progressions for the past couple years till now since its becoming a problem i watch producer vids and there just able to play notes that they wan't no problem do they just know how to play the piano or are they just experienced so they know what will sound good? Also wondering if anyone's got any yt tutorials that could help me out with this. im on fl btw

Same, know how you feel man. Knowing basics help alot but I wonder how the pros do what they do. When you press keys alot you remember how they sound of course but the speed at which you recall, now that's something that's foreign. Using a mouse is using a mouse but learning an instrument like piano all the way...hm...

Same, know how you feel man. Knowing basics help alot but I wonder how the pros do what they do. When you press keys alot you remember how they sound of course but the speed at which you recall, now that's something that's foreign. Using a mouse is using a mouse but learning an instrument like piano all the way...hm...

Welcome to the fast-food society...

Grabbing pre-recorded loops and samples does not make you a musician I'm sorry to say ... that doesn't mean you can't hear the melody in your head but it does mean that you're not able to express yourself correctly and music at it's most fundamental level is all about expression ... you want to speak but you don't know the language.

Keyboards are forgiving in that there is only one note at any given pitch on the keyboard... unlike a guitar where you can play the same pitched note at several locations which for the novice is or can be confusing. If you want to play an instrument, there is no way out of learning the ABCs ... you have to know scales and basic triad chords ... you'll begin to recognise patterns which will also help with melody and soloing.... there are lots of beginner TY videos on this very topic.

The hardest lesson to learn is that you're not going to be a keyboard player overnight... or a guitarist or anything else for that matter... it takes time and it takes practice to play an instrument. If you want to speak the language / kick that ball / play that instrument, you have to put in the hours. Sad but very true. The good news is that millions of people play instruments so it's not hard or impossible... you're not expected to play a Bach keyboard recital or anything like that... just learn the very basics ... the easiest key is C as that has only the 'white notes' ... learn the names of the notes on the keyboard (starting with C) and a few chords in that key (C, F, G and Am will get you 99% of just about every song written) ... the rest will follow but you definitely won't get better by reading about how to play ...

Patience + Practice ... you'll get there.

Good luck!!!!!!!!

I can only do extremely basic melodies without samples or a mouse lol.
Drumpads, overdub. But Chord formula etc, teoria has these things in plain site but learning intervals and chord progressions[without taking a lot of time with a mouse] now this is what makes this monkey scratch his noggin.

Google-Fu for chord scales nothing shows up but regular scales of piano, but there are chord diagrams abundant and the formula to find every chord, but doing something beyond simple melodies in realtime...
I wonder if that has to be practiced. Not like practicing a song riff but pure knowing a melody before playing it by improvisation.

Counting semitones in realtime, I definitely do not have this ability. I know the space between notes but I do not possess that power man.

there are countless resources on the internet to learn music theory/composition. finding a good resource is a highly personal endeavor. you need to decide which is best for you (in terms of teaching style, music style, etc.) i would say if you really want to become decent then avoid derivative styles for teaching (i.e. if you want to compose hip hop music from scratch learn to play jazz, blues, gospel, etc. rather than have some dude with a rudimentary understanding of music teach you chord theory just to make a hip hop beat).

Why not find a teacher?
The wisdom of professional experience>Google and Youtube videos alone. Unless you are content with playing simple two-finger melodies and three chord tunes.

I specialize in showing people how to get deeper colour chords from their playing. Check out some of my stuff from my site, also the chords progressions.

Back