JAYBEATZ' basic how to improve 1O1

How to become better! - My way

As and Old graffiti writer i noticed a kind of pattern when you want to improve and develop your art, you Can also Apply this pattern to beatmaking and Other forms of creative things

First ask yourself- What do i want to become better at?
Making heavy beats?
Master a New style?
Do better drum grooves?
Mixing?
When you got a answer, for exempel: "hey, i really like to learn how to make gangsta/westCoast influenced beats!"

Step 1
Whos the king of westcoast producing? Lets say The Only and Only D.r.e! Now try to find out what makes his beats so good and basicly the standard of that gener?
Dres' sound follows a certain pattern.
His beat recipe is: heavy kicks mixed into a sub bass with a groovy/funky bass line some octaves higher.
That creates a bouncy and heavy sound, witch easy gets stuck in your head, and makes you nodd your head either way you want or not.
The bpm is about 90+- mostly less.
And is almost never quantized, making it groovy.
He also applies heavy chords mixed minor and major depends on the mode of the beat. That classic Dre piano like the one in still dre (f.u.I is actually played by Scott storch, and dre bought it) that piano pattern become somehow a standard of westcoast/gangsta beats sound for a long time, and still are ( High octav chords, none quantized for that "clink" sound) then simple add some strings for mids, and you'll have a dre beat.

Step 2 - learn
Try to understand how a certain kind of music/style/producers thinks, what the common pattern, study! What scales are used? If You dont know how scales Works you should really learn, it takes a while but it's truly worth it(by mastering scales you'll get a map of how to create a certain sound/mode/style, scales are the GPS of music. Pick the pieces you like and put your own "sound" into it!
Listen to a lot of music that you like, different geners and try to do the "break down part" into it, mix sounds that you like, study the best of different styles that you wanna master - remember that I mentioned graffiti at the start? I improved the same way by breaking different writers into pieces ( lol) like seen, Bates, futura 2000, writers that I really admired, and I came up with a different mix of all those writers, witch ended up in being "My style" same thing I did with my beats.
Learn from the best, even copy at start, find your own style trough that
To all people that thinks - "dude you're totally wrong, develope your own thing from scrach!" All I have to say : Dude, **** you
You should not become a copycat,
Youre learning, from the best, that's the point, basically all hip-hop is copied from other music, let's pick dre to make it easier to explain: what if I told you That "Eminem-Lose yourself" is sampled and looped, whole piano part and guitar the guitar riff? Also California love, just a looped song from the 70th's or why not Eminems crack a bottle? Or I got love with nate dogg(rip) people can't really blame you for copy styles at start, or to improve as well!

This I just my personal thoughs, I might lose the thread sometimes in the tutorial, happens when I come up with some new ideas, but overall I think I'm on point :)
( the text is written and posted on my phone)

Conclution:
Study music, listen and learn
K.R.S.O.N.E
Knowledge Reigns Supreme Over Nearly Everyone

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Admin/mod can move it to tutorials if possible, cant do it from my phone
Thanks.

I think you might have a point here. When i first started making music i would just open my daw and do what ever. I didnt have any direction. Once i started digging for a type of sound and found it things started to be much clearer it helps develop creativity, and its better to have a sense of direction than just putting things together, and hoping they work..... Good advice JAY

Ye i noticed that myself, once you understand the Music you want to make, you Can make it
Break it down, put it Back, reversed engenering With alots of modifications

Back