Idiot's Guide to Film Scoring

O

O.ptimuz B.eatz

First off I'd like to thank Mano for makin this film scoring forum happen...I didnt think it'd be up so quick, I only posted a few days ago....

Now, I'd like to ask a question. This summer I'll be doing my first film score for an independent feature film (rrreeeaaallly independent). I have and currently use sonar for music production, but by the time I do the score I should have a pro tools rig. Anyhow, what are the basic things I need to get started? Are there magazines or books I should look at for information? Are there programs or anything I should look into?

I know there are some well-trained super producers out there that can help me out. Any information would be helpful. Thanx!

There are 2 movies you need to get on DVD. One is the 7th day with arnold schwartznegger. There is an option where you can hear the film composer (fogot his name) narrate how he scored the movie while you watch the movie. It's almost like an instructional video for film composers. There is another movie that does that as well, but I forgot the name of it.

magazine

Theres a new music mag called "Music Tech" go have a look it's got a continuing artical of composing music for film, games etc.

There's 2 books you can look at, "The Reel World" by Jeff Rona, published by Miller Freeman and "Complete Guide to Film Scoring" by Richard Davis, published by Berklee Press. Both give an insight into what you need to do - however they're both a bit light on the technical side of things (syncing to picture and so on), but then books are soooo last millenium, aren't they?

Fumbling on Ecstasy said:
There are 2 movies you need to get on DVD. One is the 7th day with arnold schwartznegger. There is an option where you can hear the film composer (fogot his name) narrate how he scored the movie while you watch the movie. It's almost like an instructional video for film composers. There is another movie that does that as well, but I forgot the name of it.

The Matrix

I've pretty much watched The Matrix everyday of my life since 1999. I go to sleep watching the matrix every night, and I wasn't aware that the composer does a naration. i'll have to check that out. I have 3 copies of The matrix. one for each DVD player I own.

6th day

Great forum! Rented 6th day about 5 minutes after I read the post. Watched the movie, then watched the composer's commentary... it was great! Especially the first half. Great to hear why he did the things he did, and also to get his history on how he got into it, former player in Yes! I never knew that... anyhow, thanks for the tip. any other things like this out there?

O.ptimuz B.eatz said:
Anyhow, what are the basic things I need to get started? Are there magazines or books I should look at for information? Are there programs or anything I should look into?

Well, the ONLY thing you must have (equipment wise) is the ability to sync a video to the sequencer you are using. Also whatever sequencer you use should allow you to make changes to your music very quickly and easily (because you .will need to make changes... over and over again.) :)

same concept

there's a similar thing on the second bonus dvd of LOTR Fellowship of the ring..

The composer explains his music in a really nice way.

Back