I wrote an article to help you play the piano today!

Legit so far, but why (in the section on building triads) did you call the minor third of the Cm triad D# instead of Eb?

Hey Pump,

Firstly, thank you for the feedback! To answer your question, I don't have an answer. I wanted to make the information in the article as underwhelming as possible while still allowing people to make progress I suppose.

When I first started learning (which was approximately 1 month ago) I learned to understand sharp notes before flats too. I am sure that played a factor.

Is there a reason why it should be Eb as opposed to D#?

Is there a reason why it should be Eb as opposed to D#?

First, D# and Eb are not the same notes and cannot be used interchangeably. This is a common mistake beginners make. These notes are enharmonic, meaning they have the same pitch, but different names depending on the key signature and context in which they are used. For example, If a C major triad is spelled C-E-G [R-3-5], to make it a C minor triad, we always flat the 3rd [R-b3-5]. There is no point in which the note "D" would ever be considered a third of any chord in which the root is C. Flattening (lowering a note one half-step) the third of a C major triad gives us a C minor triad, which is spelled C-Eb-G [R-b3-G]. Calling it C-D#-G means you are no longer talking about a C triad at all because at no point is D or D# EVER CONSIDERED THE THIRD OF ANY CHORD IN WHICH C IS THE ROOT NOTE.
If we look at the scales corresponding to each C chord:
C major scale: C D E F G A B
C natural minor scale: C D Eb F G Ab Bb
If C is the tonic (starting point of the scale), at no point does either C major or C minor produce a C triad in which D or D# is a third.
This is the context I was talking about. Sharps and flats are not arbitrary, if I am calling something C#, it means I am raising the note C a half-step, which is NOT the same as Db which means I am lowering the note D a half-step. Context ALWAYS matters when using enharmonic notes, especially if you are trying to "make the information in the article as underwhelming as possible while still allowing people to make progress" as you said.

Last edited:
This is so useful. Thank you for taking to time to explain it to me!

I will change it on the blog as soon as I get a chance!

No worries man. The rest of the section on your site was pretty clear and you seem to have a pretty good grasp on the basics. Your theory section is laid out like how I learned it at school and I dug the progression part at the end. (we had the piano drilled us during basic theory) Very beginner-friendly.
If you have any more questions, i'll do my best to answer.

Last edited:
I really appreciate that!

If you are cool with it, I would like to run the next article by you before I post it to make sure everything is correct!

Back