Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need Help making melodies

Thanks

I need Help making melodies

Sign in to disable this ad
    Iím new to music producing, I understand how to work my daw (fl studio).
    but when I try to make my melodies it just doesnít come out the way I want it to, Iím not saying it on a opinion stand point. But I donít know what Iím doing . Am I using the wrong instruments ? When I make one melody does the other need to start off with the same key, I need help bad. I also need help understanding when to use a lead a pad a saw and just a regular piano sound. And what instruments I canít make a melody with. I obviously know I canít make it with drums but yea just please help me, it seems like YouTube videos donít help me back all I do it just follow what they do and they give clear details, for a beginner like me.

Thanks
    Hi man,
    I am also really new in producing and I have asked a similar question on my profile ( Making a first song... ).
    Also, if you want us to help each other, you can send me a private messageť

Thanks
    What kind of music do you make? If I were to guess, you just don't have enough experience with the instrument of your choice. However, I would start creating melodies by following these guidelines (You can feel free to break them as you gain experience):

- Stay strictly within the key signature. Any notes outside of the key can quickly bring in dissonance.
    - Try and stick with a simple piano as your first melody instrument. Once you have a solid melody line, experiment with other instruments
    - Sometimes, melodies can be found while noodling about, and other times it comes to you in your head. Try and use both techniques.
    - Keep repeating a section over and over again until you find the right melody.

I would love to hear a sample of what you have so far in your song.
    Networking with young composers! http://composersofthefuture.boards.net/
    My Website: http://www.alecweesner.com

Thanks
    Hi
    Here's A Trick! Try To Flip The Melody of Your Favorite Track.
    Sometimes It Gives You A Great Melody and Some Times idea.
    For Example: Try Martin Garrix's Rewind & Repeat It, Just Flip Its Melody.
    I have Tried It And It Was Almost Good

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Enej Johhem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi Hirman!

Yeah what genre you making?

What I do is put some chords down first. Depends though. But one thing I can tell you if you don't know your chords is that if you press a key on midi controller keyboard and then count 3 up (that's any key so black or white) and then 4 up so 1, 3, 4 (3 keys) and that's a minor. If the first note is C then it's a Cm (C minor). If you do 1, 4, 3 it's a major. Then I play guitar so I know what chord progressions work. C, G, Am, F that's used in Let It Be and No Woman, No Cry plus probably tons of others. Then there's just C, F (meaning major chords) can just repeat etc. I can come up with many progressions by ear just from 20yrs of playing the guitar.

As for melodies over the top, say a lead melody. I just do those by ear. Sometimes (more often than not) that's ok but I guess someone might chime in here as to things that work depending on the key of the chord progression probably.

Bass lines can be tricky sonetimes too. I generally go by ear but remember the note of the bass usually has to be the same the root note of the chord. So if on bar 2 there was a D (Dmajor or minor) that starts there then you want a D note (and usually with bass you want octave 1, 2 & sometimes 3) starting there. It can be different though sometimes but that's getting more technical for now.

Thanks
    Hi all, it would be a big leap to read what are chord progressions and harmony. After 2-3 weeks of reading, you will have the basic info about making melodies. In addition, to make drum grooves/patterns, read about the theory of music note values, which also helps with chords and harmony. Have fun!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Enej Johhem View Post
    Hi
    Here's A Trick! Try To Flip The Melody of Your Favorite Track.
    Sometimes It Gives You A Great Melody and Some Times idea.
    For Example: Try Martin Garrix's Rewind & Repeat It, Just Flip Its Melody.
    I have Tried It And It Was Almost Good
    This is called working in retrograde inversion.

GJ
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions
    The Sonic Vault Recording Studio
    Drum! Magazine Contributor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smoba View Post
    Hi all, it would be a big leap to read what are chord progressions and harmony. After 2-3 weeks of reading, you will have the basic info about making melodies. In addition, to make drum grooves/patterns, read about the theory of music note values, which also helps with chords and harmony. Have fun!
    This^^^^.

There really isn't enough background info and/or "question" that you are asking to give too many tips right now, other than "get familiar with basics of theory and song structure." Then you can ask more pointed questions that are easier for someone that wants to help to answer, rather than having to give a complete seminar on music fundamentals, composing, and arranging. It's a big topic. Like "How do I make a car?" Well, out of all of the parts you'll need. "But how do I make those?" "Where do I get them?" "How do I precision engineer specific features?" It's kind of too much to get at in a post or two on FP. However-- If you search posts in the "Theory, Composing & Sound Design" sub-forum with a keen eye to looking for posts by our former theory expert, BandCoach, you will find a wealth of information that can get you started and keep you on-track.

For now, I would follow Battlegun's guidelines posted above...

GJ
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rhythmgj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rhythmgj View Post
    This^^^^.

There really isn't enough background info and/or "question" that you are asking to give too many tips right now, other than "get familiar with basics of theory and song structure." Then you can ask more pointed questions that are easier for someone that wants to help to answer, rather than having to give a complete seminar on music fundamentals, composing, and arranging. It's a big topic. Like "How do I make a car?" Well, out of all of the parts you'll need. "But how do I make those?" "Where do I get them?" "How do I precision engineer specific features?" It's kind of too much to get at in a post or two on FP. However-- If you search posts in the "Theory, Composing & Sound Design" sub-forum with a keen eye to looking for posts by our former theory expert, BandCoach, you will find a wealth of information that can get you started and keep you on-track.

For now, I would follow Battlegun's guidelines posted above...

GJ
    Yes a bit too much information inside there, but as he is 15, he can learn the fundamentals right from the beginning. He will have developed and learned them at expert level after ten years. All I'm saying is , he can exploit the fact that he has the ability to do it rather easier than a someone who starts at 25 or 30 and he will enjoy the fruits of his hard work at the peak of his age.

Peace
    Last edited by smoba; 03-27-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks
    Absolutely. But at this level we are talking a lot of self-directed work.

GJ
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions

Thread Information