How to Play the Violin From Young Jeezy's The Recession Intro?

ftxn

You can listen to the track here:

How to play that part in the melody when the violin plays fast? Is this a violin specific run? Can this be emulated with a violin midi controller?

I would appreciate the suggestions a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not hearing anything special in this

the violin is being doubled by a trumpet, so the phrase is playable by both

it consists of two upwards scale runs from a given starting note: in each instance the scale run moves up two scale steps then falls back to the starting note, then moves down a scale step to the next starting note

we are in the middle of bad electrical storm so I won't try and notate this out now (no telling when power will cut out - over 200 lighting strikes in the last 5 minutes)

Last edited:
yep, $150M damage last week in Brisbane for 10 minutes - but it was a sub cyclonic depression (think twister on steroids with a widespread (20 km/13 mile) eye but most of the energy centred inwards rather than at the edges as we would expect with a twister

we have seen rail services suspended because the channels the lines run through (mostly open cut grades through small hills) were flooded to floor level or higher (we use overhead wiring for power to our trains) in both Sydney and Brisbane these last few weeks - great pics and video of trains stooped at stations with the water at platform height if you want to go looking

we are going to continue to have rolling storms every afternoon for the next week at least (nice cooling off after 35C+ (95F+) days); we're expecting to hit multiple days of 40C+ (104F+) by the end of next week :(

Last edited:
^Sounds rough, bc!

In regards to the question at hand, I very much doubt there are any real instruments in play here. Toomp seems to use your average hiphop producer stuff - there's an ASR10 & a Fantom (from a video where he discusses this beat), and he's running Reason. So these are most likely just played on a keyboard anyway.

krushing, I thought the violin specifically could be a loop though (recording of a real instrument).

Thanks for the link. Great music. Too bad that I am not coming across more of this type music. I have liked it a lot!

Hey, how to play the orchestral bass in that Rick Wakeman track which comes in at 0:12. At which time signature needs this to be played, so the chords align well in the piano roll?

I did not try too much but I guess the chords are Emin, and then E-F#-B (I forgot what this chord is called). You can play this in Reason with the String Orch preset. Please, correct me if I am wrong with this. Greetings.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's actually Fm the left hand is F-C-F

the right hand is playing Ab-C-F where the C is middle C and at the stab points is playing Bb-D-G

Back