How much compression do you usually put on the master track?

SoundHustle

Obviously I know this differs on a track to track basis but I'm trying to get a gauge on the average amount used for a standard rap beat with a professional sound.

I usually just use one on the master channel using the complete mix preset at 9 db gain, and sometimes I'll add a multiband compressor with the 6 db mastering preset.

I have no issue with getting the compression right on my individual instruments, I'm just not sure about the master track. By the way I'm not looking to get a pumping sound or anything out of it, just simple compression to glue the tracks together.

So how much compression do you guys tend to use on overall mix. How many compressors and how much compression?

This is a good question but is in the wrong section. Maybe it will get moved to the recording section in a bit.

Using compression on the master bus is optional. I usually just lightly compress the whole thing with no more than a 2:1 ratio but with a low threshold so that the compression affects a big range. Just started doing this though. And off course - it depends on the song.

You might want to mention if you are then going to have it mastered. (With possibly more compression.)

Depends on what you are trying to do. If you are mixing in your production program without going to a DAW then I suggest using an Waves L2 limiter on the Master Track and at the final stage after youve already mixed the instruments, eq'ed etc, then you can pull the fader down to give your track that JUICE.

im with mark 1234, i only use compression on the drums...when its on the whole track it kinda takes a little quality out of the sound i want in my opinion

dont use a compressor on the master, use it on a group like drums/synths etc. you can put a limiter on the master and/or a equalizer for some more low/mid/high frequencies if you want. it can destroy your whole track if you dont use it right, but at the same time it can make it a great track

Interesting I always thought it was common to put compression on the master but it seems more people don't. I already put an L2 or L3 limited anyways so I should be good with just that. limiters add a little of their own type compression anyway dont they?

I'm gonna start not using compression on the master bus now, I think I may have just been killing the dynamics on my mixes.

This is a personal opinion, but i suggest not compressing the master track :|
compress/limit each track/channel on its own.. otherwise you could really mess up your sound

I would suggest leaving that to the Mastering Engineering, you just make sure everything is clean.. and if you are going to compress a large amount of shit, I'd co-sign on the drum bus thing.

If you ARE going to master it yourself, then I'd suggest on easing up on those gains. I found it effective to use a lot of limiters with little effect, so far example, maybe 4/5 L1+Ultramaximizers (or whatever limiters/compressors you got). The first one in the chain would do the most limiting, so I'd have maybe -3dB threshold. and go down in small increments. It's a bit friendly to the dynamic range that way.

That usually depends on EVERYTHING! like you said. lol The vocals and the beat. But most times because I know how I mix my own beats and mix my own artist material its usually the same. Usually my mixes are well "glued" together so at that point i may simply add a small amount of limiting to "turn it up slightly."

it depends on your mixing/mastering style and also the song itself but usually not too much or it kills the entire mix, clips etc.

It's really a case by case kind of thing. The thing you need to figure out, "what sort of dynamic range are you looking for in the final product?" When I'm doing my dance tracks I will lightly compress the highest 1-2.5 dB range. I mean veeeery lightly, like 1.1:1 or 1.2:1. I figure when mastering if I do choose to compress more I can do some multiband action for more precise results. When I'm mastering another group/band's tracks I'll usually do some compressing to gell the mix and give a bit of character to it before I get down to the actual mastering process. I think the most GR I've ever done here is like 2-3.

But yeah I don't do a ton of compressing after my percs, kicks and bass synths.

I usually only have an exciter or maximizer on the main channel, if needed to touch up the sound. All compression I do is on a track-by-track basis. Compression on the master tends to ruin the sound more than help it.

You can use heavier compression assuming you've done everything right in the submixes and tracks. Keep in mind that when you boost your EQ, you make compression a little more complicated, but to answer your question, if you want that staple ducking, a ratio of 2:1 up to 4:1 could do it real nice, but your threshhold really can't be too low and your attack should be raised a bit for this kind of compression. Usually the release is set low for ducking.

If you use a comp on the master you need to be careful of the gain. Too much and it will pump, but if you get it right it can really tie the mix together. You might even need to automate the threshold of the comp so loud sections dont get over compressed. Subtlety is the key.

Back