How to make a tight drum pattern ?

Antistyle

So.. I have been working on my drum pattern for Trap music but I always feel that my
Kick, Snare, Hi-hats do not sound nice (natural?) together !! :<

Is there anyway that I can improve my drum pattern ?

**** man, just use your imagination - what kind of answer do you expect? You may wheter know what you want to get, or turn knobs till somethin catch your ear.

There are actually a few reasons for this...

It could be a mixing issue. No matter how clean your samples are, more than likely there will be another sound clashing with it and will make the end result sound terrible. If that's the problem, then you will need to need to become familiar with your Equalizer and Compressor soon. I'd explain how to EQ your drums to make them sound better here, but that's a whole course by itself. I suggest searching the forums for that topic.

Another issue could be you just have really crappy quality samples. That might not be it, but if it is, try searching on google for some nice drumkits because theyre out there and it really makes a difference.

And my last guess is that it could be that no matter how good your samples are, your drum pattern may just suck. If that's the issue then that can be fixed. You could just research how to stank up your drum patterns and make them sound more interesting. I'll tell you right now that adding swing and varying the velocity and panning of your drums are three of best and easiest ways to make your drums sound better and more natural. But again, that's a course by itself.

I'm not sure if I even answered your question or not, but those were my only guesses. You might actually make some impeccable drum patterns but I wouldnt' know since I've never heard your music before.

without an audio example of what you are working with hard to give you any advice at all

- it may be sounds,
- it may be where the notes hit,
- it may be eq,
- it may be compression or lack of,
- it may be you just suck

no audio means no way to tell for sure which one of these is the most accurate assessment of the problem you are experiencing

added shortly after posting:
and this is what happens when you pop a thread up amongst many and work your way through responding to them one by one: someone jumps in with the same advice

Last edited:
He's just kidding coach. The only thing I would say that hasn't been mentioned is bussing all of your individual tracks into a dry drum buss, which you can then send to a second bus with a reverb. I find this technique tightens up my sampled drum kits (as long as you have a good handle on reverb and EQ). you can blend the 2 AUX channels dry/wet until you get the sound and cohesiveness you're looking for.

It also helps to have a beat or groove in mind before you start messing with the samples. Otherwise if you have uninspiring samples your beat will sound equally uninspired.

Last edited:
What is a good place to get quality samples? I have bought packs off beatport and once I complete a mix the sounds just dont haev the same loundess and effect as they should. Compared to the drum kits and samples that came with FL11, they dont even compare. The FL11 samples that come with the program are amazing, you can literally arrange a beat and it sounds like it is supposed to.

The best thing to do is find a way to make your own samples. If you have access to a drum kit, or even just a high hat or a snare, experiment away until you find the sounds you need. This gives you the most control, and you don't need amazing microphones. Just an SM 57 and a drummer friend and you will have some usable stuff.
if this is not an option, addictive drums is a really great drum synth. I use it for replacement as well as just making beats. if you can't make that sound good, it's not addictive's fault!

Yea i noticed that as well. If i use FL's drum machines that I have much more control over what I create. Thanks for the tip!

Back