How to make a Hollow sounding Kick Drum...???

Chew_Bear

How do you make a 'hollow' sounding Kick Drum...?

I have been hearing a lot of hollow sounding kick drums in a lot of the music I listen to (EDM/Bass/Electronica/Hip Hop Music) and am trying to produce/emulate.

Isn't a hollow sounding kick drum 'counter intuitive' to what is normally/traditionally what a kick drum should sound like/be...?

Is it simply that the producer is just using some 'special processing' (eq/compression) on a regular kick drum to get that hollow sound...? Or are they creating a hollow sounding kick from 'scratch' with sound design...?

Help...?!

Could you be more specific in what you mean by "hollow"? If you can give me an example of what you mean I can try my best to give you an answer. As a side note though, there rarely is such thing as some sort of "secret technique" to get a sound. Usually the simplest answer is the right one.

hollow kicks

just use a gated reverb and set the predelay so that it responds rhythmically to the signal you feed in. Can be quarter, half, or triplet. Also gain the tail and add small attack signal on a separate channel, it will help with mixing.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
OR! We could completely guess randomly, and assume it has something to do with setting and editing gated reverb...

????

GJ

Your best bet is probably to find some drum samples that is at least in the ballpark of "hollow", and go from there.
No point in spending lots of time making a kick, when you can just get one that already sounds like you want it to sound.

Right find a good sample with the sound selection that you want and if you are a fl studio user use soft clipper to prevent the peak and make it as loud as the sample can go without cracking.

Your best bet is probably to find some drum samples that is at least in the ballpark of "hollow", and go from there.
No point in spending lots of time making a kick, when you can just get one that already sounds like you want it to sound.
there aren't many... I've been try to remake Stay High by Tove Lo... and this song has that kick.... I mean the hollowness of the the kick is very amplified... I am trying to look for a kick that is hollowed all I am getting is "mAkE yOuR KiCk bAsSy"

Back