How to make this hi-hat sound?

WastedBeats

I know DJ Mustard catches a lot of flack around here for being so popular despite how simple his beats are, but I can't deny the guy has some nice sound selection. What's really caught my attention is the hi-hat sound he has been using in some of his recent productions, specifically this song:

And a similar sound in this one:

The hi-hats have a very distinct sort of click to them, and I've never really heard a similar sound. To me it sounds like 808/trap style hats with some kind of phaser on them. I cannot for the life of me come anywhere close to that sound though. Anyone know how to achieve this?

Last edited by a moderator:
First one is pretty much as mentioned above, except it's a phaser and not a flanger. You could also achieve the stereo image using 2 panned similar layers (better imo).
The second one have a little chorus effect applied, and is played in mono.

phaser/flanger same basic idea just time frames are different: s vs ms

I would go for a flanger myself, other thing that sticks out is that some of the hats used have been recorded for real - i.e. the closing of the hat from a open strike to a closed stop and vice versa fro ma closed hit to open and closed again.

2nd track

sounds more like small cymbals (6" or smaller as well as woodblocks/jamblocks/temple blocks) flanger again (chorus is similar to the flanger just the time frame is slightly longer, e.g. 10ms vs 1ms)

Same technique, but they sound different. But yeah you can pretty much create a phasersound with a flangerplugin if you can set the timing short enough.
Though I would still try the chorus to get that smooth modulated sound, or at least soften the sound.

sadly the phaser has the long time line (measured in 0.1-4.0s or longer), so it is hard to emulate a phaser with a flanger - you can get close but it will never be quite right -i still maintain that it is a flanger on these hats and other sounds.....

Last edited:
Back