How good is that Dr. Dre Laptop?

springs

I have Fruity loops XXL 9 producer edition but i dont have the greatest computer its a older windows xp desktop... Should i switch to the laptop by dr. dre? does it have a beat program and is it better than fruity loops?

I haven't used the HP Envy (Beats by Dre) laptop but after looking at the specs, it's overpriced. It doesn't come with a "Beat Program", FL Studio xxl9 is a dope program and i'd suggest you stick with it until you're ready to move on.

If you're going to be making beats at the house most of the time it would be > to get a desktop because you can get better specs for cheaper. It's a buyer's market and you can probly get somethin real nice during the after xmas sales. I bought my HP desktop from Bestbuy. You might be able to save some $ coppin online but I think its better when you can actually take ur cpu to the store under warranty instead of having to ship it to the spot you bought it from.

I own a HP desktop and laptop..

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

look around online, read product reviews, and do a bunch of research b4 buying

From what I understand about that laptop is its supposed to have some sort of special speakers to help hear the music better. My response to that is if you're into music you are already going to have some studio monitors or some decent headphones. So wouldn't that take the "special" speakers out the equation? Maybe there is something else about the laptop that makes it more designed for music production that I don't know about. But to me all the Dr dre endorsed stuff seems like its marketed more so to be a fashion statement and towards people with money to blow.

EDIT: and people who don't know how to spend money on music gear...

Last edited:
The "Dr Dre laptop" is the Beetmaker VST in hardware form. Check out the thread on the Beetmaker VST. It's amazing!

Seriously though, this laptop doesn't differ from any other "designer" laptop on the market e.g. the Compaq/Toshiba units with the Harmon Kardon speakers.

They're regular laptops with high end speakers to give customers (not musicians/producers etc) some half decent sound quality because onen the biggest gripes that people have about laptops in general is that you can't listen to music on them purely because the sound is really tinny and sounds like ass!

They're regular laptops with high end speakers to give customers (not musicians/producers etc) some half decent sound quality because onen the biggest gripes that people have about laptops in general is that you can't listen to music on them purely because the sound is really tinny and sounds like ass!

...high-end being completely relative to said regular laptop speakers. Doubt they're gonna be of much actual use other than being another reference point & better-than-nothing if you're on the move.

Get a mac, you won't have to fix...unless your clumsy. The Dre Laptop is just marketing dude. Its still the same cheap PCBs from oversees. Apple uses name brand parts from Foxconn, Samsung, and even creates their own parts including the batteries and case design. Remember, plastic laptops hold more heat inside, which wears your computer down faster (I'm an engineering major). Macs are aluminum, which means (while they feel hotter outside) they pull the head from inside, allowing your laptop to run like a desktop without overheating.

it's just a b.s. marketing scam otherwise you'd be able to actually know how the audio sounds and if it sounds any better at all

Don't get it. Nice and simple. Get a desktop PC, unless you need the portability of a laptop. Either way, don't go for brand names like HP and sh*t. Build a custom PC yourself. If you can't do it, hire someone. It'll still be cheaper and you'll be buying better quality parts that will last longer.

i got it for black friday since it was cheep n had good specs the beats audio are only extra external speakers but if u producing most likey you not gona need them since u gona be using headfones or speakers

knowing Dre, it's probably got a quite a nice "hump" at 100hz hahaha

I can't see how they'd be very good for reference compared to monitors.

Get a mac, you won't have to fix...unless your clumsy. The Dre Laptop is just marketing dude. Its still the same cheap PCBs from oversees. Apple uses name brand parts from Foxconn, Samsung, and even creates their own parts including the batteries and case design. Remember, plastic laptops hold more heat inside, which wears your computer down faster (I'm an engineering major). Macs are aluminum, which means (while they feel hotter outside) they pull the head from inside, allowing your laptop to run like a desktop without overheating.

A mac is just another designer laptop .
Most laptops have the mobo subbed by foxcon etc .
All laptops throttle down like fek when they get warm , including macs .

As others have said get a desktop , and even better to build your own to the spec you decide .

I just got it a month and a half ago !!! Its Good, nothing to RAVE about

Id get a mac if i were you , but if its too pricy for you even thought its worth it in the long run

i'd go w/ this as my second choice !!!

Back