How to get started

Mikael

Hi, i would like to compose my own trance, house and techno music, but i don't have a clue were to start and what to do since im a total beginner, anybody who could give me an idea where to start, or a clue or hint, please help!!
What do you do to get started with this?

How serious.

Depends how serious you are, and how much money you want to invest.

HOt TiPs

My oh my are you lucky you I read this post. I am also a beginner. Previous to about a year ago I played no musical instruments, 'cept for a little guitar. I bought my first keyboard, a Yamaha DJX, not a great axe, but good enough in January 2000. I still composing with it today. I suggest the first thing you do is get a midi keyboard, not a expensive one, and a some midi-sequencing software, and a midi cable. Hook it all up,Download standard midi files from the net, open them up, and analyze them in your sequencer. Pay special attention to the chord progressions, how the bass matches the chords, and how the drums are programmed. Try to rework songs you know how to play, and try to figure out songs you hear. Remember expensive equipment does not make good music(although it helps)! Good people make good music. Getting some really deluxe board or sampler will probably curb your musical development. Well, email me at cocoabravo@hotmail.com or IM me at goingtocali if you want any more info....Peace and love

well ,if you are going to use a computer for production then i recommend you get a Pentium III and lots of RAM .

Sequencer Software

hi everyone,

i also want to start composing songs. i have been playing bass for 7 years now, so i have some musical knowledge, yet i need good tips on software.

what is the sequencer you guys use? are there any simulated synths, besides propellerhead's rebirth, out there?

see ya,

andreas rauh

REASON all the way is my advice

It has everything you need inside it (from sequencer to synth and effects, sampler, mixer...).

Last night I composed some music in Reason, and I was surprised to see that I could use a piano in the NN19 sampler, and some etheral pads on the SUBTRACTOR synthesizer... adding some reverb and delay modules, a compression..

Reason is very amazing I must say.. The only missing thing is "controlling external midi devices from within Reason and routing LINE IN audio to the mixer of Reason" or maybe it is inside the program but I didnt see it (to use my external synthesizer with reason directly).

I was just happy to confirm that you can compose any kind of music, not just trance. What I composed was very much industrial and ambiantish.. nice for 1 program.

but buy the full version, its much better... the demo only comes with a few bass sounds. Full version comes with a CD full of hundreds of classical and modern sounds for the sampler and the synthesizer, plus drum kits for the REDRUM drumbox.

Go there:
http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/rack.html

If you already had a studio full of gear, i would direct you to something else, but since you dont have anything yet, reason is a great start.. plus you'll learn a lot about equipment in general.

Ah.. get a US$100 MIDI controlelr (keyboard) it makes composition in Reason much better and "human" ;)

If later you want to invest more money, I would advise you to get arack mounted smpler, a synthesizer, a digital mixer, an ADAT recording card on your computer, Cubase VST 5 to sequencer.. etc.. but this comes later.

Hope all this helps Mikael! :) welcome to onlineDJ!

Mano-

I think that reason does have the external midi control functions. Im not 100% sure on this but in reading the manual I remember seeing something about this. About the Line In Im not sure though.

Im not a big fan of the sequencer but it does the job.

/.v

one piece of advise .. there are many softwares out there.. all are good and can be effectively used once you get to know them real good .. my advise is to download the trial version, see and try if you get the hang of it and then go for it ..
yeah, reason is a good software but it is too expensive for me ... i use impulse tracker and fruity loops ..
peace and love..

Back