How to get this sound?

Wayfare

Hi all, I was wondering if you might be able to help me with recreating this type of 808- it starts at 30 seconds in the video. So far, I have been using massive to make 808s but i'm lacking that midrange that really shines on this track by Hucci...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaYSGbsT1QU

It kind of sounds like he has two 808s. One with some hefty midrange eq boosting, tape saturation and a lowpass filter and the other 808 kept pretty stock maybe with a highpass filter to keep it from clashing with the other?

I would be interested to know too. Going to experiment with what you think it is and I'll let you know if I get anywhere... Great song either way

Really a good 808 bass like that revolves around the fundamental and the next two harmonics. The fundamental should be the strongest, the first harmonic somewhat weak, and the second harmonic (an octave and a fifth up) should be very strong. Any harmonics past that or distortion is icing on the cake. Also VERY important is a good pitch and amp envelope to give the bass some interest. Make the bass get quieter ever so slightly and the pitch should be a fast down pitch with an exponential curve.

Also, I like using Absynth to do a lot of bass sounds because you have so much power over your waveforms, and there's a spectral editor that lets you easily adjust your harmonics. Considering the fact the you have massive, I'm guessing you have Absynth as well?

Ahh thank you Oxygen, that advice about the harmonics is golden..got my massive 808s sounding somewhat decent! I have Absynth but aren't very familiar with it in comparison to massive yet, ill do some experimenting with it tonight.

---------- Post added 03-12-2013 at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was 03-11-2013 at 08:03 PM ----------

In case anyone would like to hear, I've made some progress with this sound...

Made a very tribal/ Buku influenced track>>> Time Compression [WIP] by Wayfare on SoundCloud - Hear the world

Not sure exactly where you started at before this thread, but sounds pretty good. Getting the mix down on the bass is so important. It's really the very foundation of a beat, and if it's off, then everything else is going to be. I'm still trying to perfect my kick/bass combo myself! Good work!

Back