How to get Ronny J 808s

manjii

Hey I'm a new producer and new on this site, hopefully i'm not breaking any rules or posting a question thats already been asked. Anyways i've always like ronny j's production style, but i cant figure out how to do 808s like him. The 808s i'm talking about aren't the sippinteainyohood type, but deeper and more synth sounding. check out the links right here

NX ICE, SCARLXRD

LA LA, Ski Mask the Slump God

(it wouldn't let me post links, sorry about that)

At this point i've tried a bunch of different things but I can't figure it out. If anybody can help it would be appreciated, its been bothering me for months, Thanks

yo man. its tricky learning sound design but with enough patience and practice youll get it in no time. watch some video on how to make an 808, learn your synth the best you can. and experiment experiment experiment.

it seems to me the slump god likes to distort his 808s to hell and back. there was like no clarity in his low section. and that wasnt even an 808 i think. im pretty sure that was just a sub bass with a lot of distortion and compression. you just gotta practice and not be afraid to fail.

oh also try and look at his track in your DAW with a spectrum analyzer. something that can show you the frequencies of his song. then you can kind of pin point the exact frequency they are producing.

goodluck

Love - Calectic

Thanks so much for the advice, i really appreciate it. I totally agree with your idea about it not being an 808, that was one of my first ideas too. I actually just got my first analogue synth since i first posted, and after some experimentation i think maybe he used a square wave LFO filter with a pretty high amount, increased the rate to the desired amount and then EQed out either the higher or lower frequency(for NX ICE synth/bass). I'm sure he added more effects after that but either way i think i have a good start. Thanks again, if i can ever get it down perfect i might post a tutorial or something on it. (edit)- 10 min after I wrote this I was messing around with my microbrute, and using the overtone knob i got almost the perfect sound from the song. Never felt so good in my life:)

Last edited:
Back