How to get aggressive sound?!

M

maxiz

I dont know almost nothing about music theory. Almost every time I play chords I end up with somekind of RnB, Pop beat.
I assume Im playing major keys..
Do I simply need to play minor keys to get an aggressive hip hop sound?

Thanks!

dude it really depends on the order of your chords or which octave you are playing on etc to get that hard angry sort of emotion - imo any chords can be used to get an angry feel, its just how you lay out the melody and your tempo and stuff... heaps of factors affect it, but i dont think that it has anything to do with not having any minor chords in your stuff...
but yeah bro im also a beginner with the theory, just giving you my thoughts bro

Hip-Hop theoretically is more about the drums and less about the orchestration. So focus on getting a good beat going and build around that.

Umm.. in the 80`s and 90`s it was.
I cant agree with you about that one nowadays.
Drums are very important but the melody is important too. I would say its 50/50 tho.

Use less tones. For example, instead of using 4 chords, use two. The less chords the better for a minor "aggressive" sound. Try C Minor - G major...hold C Major for a 4 count and then go down to the G major...im not exactly sure if that will work but I will check it as soon as I get home and ill also give you more examples but try that for now...

I think the sound you are looking for is a mix between dynamics and syncopation..

so dynamics being that a beat going on with some sudden loud hits that are syncopated so the listener doesnt know when the loud hits are coming.

minor keys wont be the answer alone..

also if you throw in some upward chord progressions that get higher in pitch during the beat it will make it sound more aggressive and give listeners a climax effect.

I think this is some really good advice, but you should look into theory.. theory is not hard.. its just a theory as to what sounds good or how to get that sound.. so I would learn about harmony 101 etc. and it can bring you a long ways

best wishes!

Last edited:
Back