How to Find Unique Sounds and Creating My Own Sounds

Hi. I mix music and rap. I've barely ever tried to produce or compose anything, but when I have I've used FL Studio. I used to come on this site a long time ago but haven't for a while. I don't know who else to ask or where to put this question. I don't really have anyone to ask in real life.

My question is this. How do producers make and create their own sounds as far as synthesizers, pads, and leads in the production? I'm not talking about drum sounds or loops or anything like that. I'm talking about the melodies and what drives the record. Are there ways to do it on FL Studio with the presets like Ogun and Harmless? Or is it more like you have to buy aftermarket stuff like Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate and it comes with a bunch of custom sounding stuff or tools to create custom sounding stuff? I just straight up don't know.

Answers to these questions and anything extra would be really appreciated. This has been on my mind for months and it makes me feel like I've run into a brick wall mentally. Thank you guys

A lot of the big names don't create their own sounds. There is enough of what you need that comes with your DAW but extras will help you discover what it is you like. Half the time it's a happy accident. You've got to keep trying what you like in different ways until it works and the full package, track becomes what you want.

A lot of the big names don't create their own sounds. There is enough of what you need that comes with your DAW but extras will help you discover what it is you like. Half the time it's a happy accident. You've got to keep trying what you like in different ways until it works and the full package, track becomes what you want.

What kind of extras are you talking about? Any particular programs or pieces of software come to mind?

There aren't any firm rules to melody.

Also (and I hope not because my answer doesn't cover this) you may be asking about timbre? Like, why does a sax sound like a sax and not a guitar even when they both play A 440Hz? (Overtones...the answer is overtones)

The typical approach is to understand harmony, and why harmonic movement allows for more expressive melodic movements.
Ever ask, why can a jazz guitarist play every note on the fretboard and it still sounds at least meh?
That is because of the richly complex harmonic movements.

Idea number first: Find the chords in your piece, and use only those notes ever. This could, but won't always lead you to whats called 'chord tone soloing.' It's basic, but it works.

Another idea is to play up and down arpeggios that correspond with, or have some relation to the chord that is, just was, or is about to sound. Usually not a chord that's three or four movements away. The whole genera of heavy metal is based on this idea.
For example the root chord and the iii chord of any major key are really just the same chord (The iii is the I-Maj7 without the root, this is why they are both related as tonic function chords).

Another idea is to stick with modes that correspond to chords. So if the tracks chords are all contained in E minor, I could play B phrygian over the V chord, A Lydian over the IV chord etc.

Another idea would be to play the melody in a single key at a much slower pace than the chords are changing. If I'm in Bb, I could simply play Bb Major over anything in the piece. This can be tricky. The reason we think about playing modes over chords is to be sure were playing the right notes at the right time. Sometimes however, dissonance is desirable and therefore we don't play through modes we just play. This is REALLY common in rap, and hip-hop in general.

The most common method would be to learn to improvise on an instrument, usually keys or voice. (Synth, you wanted to know about synth, but the same principles apply). Loop the 16 or 8 bar section like 20 times and just play along and record. When you hit something you like, keep it. The rest, delete it.

The ideal method is to audiate. Here it in your head, and play it back. This is going to require that you can identify intervals and have the technical proficiency to actually play what you are hearing. But, this is by far and away the best method because we humans can audiate nearly anything, synth, guitar, ambience, sirens, wind, bird chirps, burps, other peoples voices, the crinkling of a Cheetos bag and the soft rub of cheese dust on sweat pants... almost anything you've herd before. The trick is playing it back and that takes SO much practice and patience.

Hope that helps.

Back