Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you define the difference between a beat maker and a music producer?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I think that a music producer is a category. Where a beat producer is a subcategory.
    There's lots of kinds of music producers.

Thanks
    Music Producer - sees the bigger picture with the music, can make the production fit with the song and not just fitting the song to the production

Beat maker - makes beats i guess?

Thanks
    ...but what about a beatsmith?
    Soundcloud: Epsilon-144

Thanks
    I cringe so much at my old posts sometimes...alot

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alienaircraftmusic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The producer is responsible for the overall sound of the song. The beat maker writes and/or plays the music.

Think about it in a traditional sense, with bands. The band members (beat makers) write and/or play the songs. The producer determines how the song will sound. The producer ddidn't write the song or play an instrument (unless he's also in the band), but will select instruments, amps, effects, mics... anything that might affect the sound of the song.

With electronic music, there's crossover where that person could be one in the same. When those folks are separate, that's when you hear folks complaining about not getting producer credit. A beat maker makes a beat under a big name producer. That producer then puts his often recognizable sound on it and the track sounds like all the other big name producer's work.
    The groove baby, the groove...

Thanks
    A beatmaker is a combination of a songwriter and producer. Songwriters write lyrics or music or both. The first part of production is choosing the instruments to play the notes the songwriter composed. In rap, r&b and electronic music. We do this at the same time. Compose music. Music meaning the melody and chord progressions. Theirs no definition for beatmaker. But if you want to use it. Cool. A songwriter is a certain type of composer. Heís a composer just specified. A producer chooses the instruments to play the music. Heís in charge of how it sounds sonically. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    This is a touchy subject due to how the industry has changed. But from my point of view a beatmaker just makes beats. Nothing wrong with it at all. A producer would be considered the one who can bring all the elements together to make a complete song. They're usually there from the beginning to the end and even after the record is released.

Thanks
    when you start recording ppl rapping or singing or whatever that's when you cross that bridge in my honest opinion. i know ppl that just make beats forever but have no clue how to bring a track to creation from start to finish that includes tracking vocals and mixing / leveling. Engineering is a whole different story all together though lol get you a good mic and some acoustic setup (not a closet lol everything will sound like you're in a box otherwise). good luck on cross that bridge my friends!

Thanks
    if you like it and you know it sounds good then what does it matter how it was made. it just works. also i think beatmaker is a designated hip hop beat maker and a producer is a more diverse music producer
    Be Sure To Check Out My Tunes:

Thanks
    Actually tho! When I think about it. Theirs no real definition for beatmakers. People try to make it seem like some type of knowledge ground, but itís really just a word thatís loosely thrown around. And that title of course belongs to hip hop. Yep! Where all the negros are. Lol. We always starting something and changing a name to make it fit a description. In music period. You have a producer and you have a songwriter. Thatís the geniuses right there. A songwriter writes the lyrics and vocal melodies. And a producer creates the arrangement for the song, plus oversees the recording, mixing and mastering of that song. The singer or rapper performs the song on his album or to an audience. Simple as that. Itís nothing wrong with a producer saying he makes banging beats. Thatís what hip hop is partially about. Engineers help the producer enhance his music. If anything, know the difference between writing a song and producing a song. Thatís more important. We producers make tracks. Weíre the creative forces behind a song. Everything you hear in a song is on purpose for a reason. In hip hop, r&b, electronic and pop music. Producers create the background music first, so the songwriter can topline over whatís there. Hip hop and r&b has been done like this for like 35 years. I think other genres are catching on or caught on later. And now they practice this way of working too. Also! To be a versatile producer. Try working traditionally too. Ask a songwriter to write you a full complete song, fully structured with lyrics, melodies and chord progressions. And take that raw barebone song and produce it. As a producer, you should be able to work both ways. And as a songwriter, they should test themselves too. Stop doing 300 toplines a year. And start writing from the ground up without a producers backing track to provoke you. Provoke yourself. This way a songwriter can keep maybe 100% of your writing and publishing credits.

Thread Information