How do you add transition effects to our music?

one thing that I use sometimes is I'll get a syth stab, put a long reverb on it, and then reverse it and place it along a transition place and maybe eve put reverb on it again so it increases then decreases after the drop.

9 times out of 10, for me, the transition effects are done as other audio files dropped onto the timeline in the DAW.

I think

What "astroidmist" said is helpful too, i did it before but not enough so i`ll pick up on that. but i find what also helps too as a transition is if you take your main sound, a play a varation of the keys, usually a octave or 2 above. or to pick a bass line and either alter it, or add a small delay..let me know how that turns out

i like to drop out certain elements for the last bar or half bar before a transition.

Ex. Drop the kicks and bass, and add a snare roll on the last bar before a hook.

Sometimes i like to drop out my main drum loop completely and throw in a completely new rythm. All about syncopation...

Use a combination of all the techniques in here to keep it fresh all the time

Since you mentioned percussion and transitions, you may be thinking of "fills".

Fills are any drum beat that leads into another part of the song.

Regardless, it would be nice to have more specific information. Maybe post a sample of what you want a transition for?

i like Tom rolls, snare rolls, reverses, and sweeps. downsweeps usually fit anything as far as transitions go. it does sound like youre talking about fills though. are you actually talking about putting effects on your percussion, or just how to make a snare roll or what?

---------- Post added at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 AM ----------

as for your other question, i usually dont add effects to my chorus or bridge with the exception of maybe a little reverb on a synth or a string. through the duration of my verse i usually use a bunch of instruments that are in tune with each other but playing at different times, for example. when i start making my beat ill start with making a 4 bar pattern and put EVERYTHING into that 4 bar pattern. drums, synths, pads, strings, pianos, bassline etc... whatever i plan on having in my beat. and make it all sound good together. after i get them 4 bars done ill split em up so during the verse i only have a couple of them instruments playing at the same time and at the end of my verse ill add a transition or snare roll or something leading into the chorus and when the chorus hits ill throw everything back into it the way it sounded when i started making my beat with them 4 bars.... or pretty close. and for the bridge i subtract just about everything, maybe have like a pad or a piano playing for just 4 bars or something. so pretty much i just think of that original 4 bar pattern like lego's. use that as a building block for your beat. then all you gottta do is work on your fills, some alternate drum patterns, (when neccessary) and copy and paste some of them original patterns and make minor adjustments where you see fit

rock/funk/jazz/live drummers always have some great abilities at doing this stuff, id listen and learn from them, keith moon was famous for his. if youre still stuck, aphex twin and that whole genre has some incredible examples of how to do this kind of stuff, take this song for example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhHkUg-QCwk its incredible how he uses the delays and weird modulators to do it, ive listened to it for like 2 years now and cant come close to it on my own

Back