Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I start a song???

Thanks

How do I start a song???

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello everyone,
    I really need some good help on this thread. I am a 15 years old new producer and recently I have been trying to make a song on FL Studio 12 and I know pretty much everything that needs to be known to create a first basic EDM song. The major problem is that I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO START! What are the best plug-ins to use to make some House? Where do I start? Do I need to get my melody first or my chords first? Does anybody have a good tutorial on YT that I can follow to help myself? Anyway, all help is appreciated and if you have a long message to send me or deep explanations, feel free to send me a private message.
    Thank you very much

Thanks
    YouTube is FULL of tutorials.

You can start a song anywhere that inspires you-- lyrical content, melody, chords, bass-line, rhythm. Many people start with chord changes over a basic beat because it is an easy entrée, but literally any one element can lead to the rest.

If you are working with loop-based production (which is a good idea if you are brand noob to composing), start with a groove you like, then add either chords (the melody can spring from that), or a bass-line to create chords from, and see what develops.

GJ
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions
    The Sonic Vault Recording Studio
    Drum! Magazine Contributor

Thanks
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions
    The Sonic Vault Recording Studio
    Drum! Magazine Contributor

Thanks
    If it helps you I break down how some of the top producers made their tracks on my YouTube channel:

youtube.com/producerprinciples

Otherwise YOU JUST START. Lol forreal..

Get INSPIRED. New sounds usually does the trick.
    My Producer YouTube To Take Your Beats To Next Level: Producer Principles
    Beats: K.E. Beats

Thanks
    Hi, you can start almost from anywhere as long you have inspiration. Get focused on one instrument/vocal of a song, progress to a point that it actually starts to sound as a song/track and then add more instruments/vocals. I usually start with bass and percussion, because it's the main groove of the track and helps with being in time with the rest of the instruments. Hope that helped, have fun!

Thanks
    It is depending alot what you are feeling. Notice: If you want start first making drums, you have to build the track aroumd that. And if you did choose wisely your drum samples, the drums will be in specific key. So you need to select right key for the chord progressions and melodies. My tip is listen more what you are making and try to do that what sound good. If something doesnt sound good, there is a problem which you need fix.

and sorry, english isnt my first language.
    Last edited by KMPA; 04-02-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Thanks
    I would also suggest that you start with transcribing other songs, so that you can the structure and how the melodies are laid out. Transcribing is great practice for actually composing your own songs.
    Alec Weesner | Video-Game Composer
    www.alecweesner.com | alec.weesner@gmail.com

Thanks
    It really takes some time if you're a complete beginner. You need to start acquiring basic knowledge of the software, plugins and samplers you're using but not to forget that you also need to learn some music theory.

Then comes a point where you realize that you can actually do some loops with samples and plugin sounds by your own. You keep experimenting around, doing loops and different kind of projects and then some day, you have enough skills to pull out complete tracks that actually makes sense and has potential.

You can analyze others' tracks and music but it might be hard for a starter. Try copying and testing stuff, adding something of your own and seeing why something works and does certain things.

Start playing around in the piano roll section or just making patterns with samples (drums) and adding them to gether as a loop. You can also start thinking what could you add to make it bigger and greater sounding but also think about what elements could build it from part to part.

Thanks
    You can start by playing with sylenth1 and nexus. They are the most basics VSTs
    Learn, collaborate & share your music : studous.com

Thanks
    Start with learning the music theory first, the basics. Then you can continue with harmony (i recommend the european classical harmony). Then you'll see it's much easier and creative knowing these two most important things in writing music. I recommend to take private lessons with trained theorist.

Thread Information