Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do i count bars? (Yes google i know)

Thanks

How do i count bars? (Yes google i know)

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello everyone i'm learning how to count bars and in a predicament because i hear people saying that claps/snares happen in 2nd and 4th beat when counting bars. However i found two popular hip hop songs where that doesn't happen for their listed BPM. In that case, there is a discrepancy on that advice.

I created video demonstrating that the clap isn't happening in 2nd and 4th beat for Lil Uzi Xo Tour Life

Also this style of bar counting doesn't happen on Playboi Carti - Magnolia in which the song is at 163bpm

Please go and see for your self....i could be wrong

Thanks
    In general, yes, 2&4. There are other styles of music and other time signatures, though. In 4/4 time, there is also what's called "half-time," as well as different variations and syncopations (such as what you cited above).

Nonetheless, it is 4/4 time, and you can count the "bars" (or "measures") easily-- 1,2,3,4.

In your video above, you are counting twice as fast as you should, imho. Also, your metronome is out of sync with the track, which is causing you to hear the backbeat differently. It's still really 2 & 4.

GJ
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions
    The Sonic Vault Recording Studio
    Drum! Magazine Contributor

Thanks
    But doesn't the metronome taps in every beat therefore you count by "beats" when counting bars? Ex. 1234-1234-1234 (that's 12 beats total for 3 bars)
    If yes, then i would believe the counting in my video demonstration was right since i was counting the same speed as the metronome. Maybe i'm going twice the speed?
    Last edited by Moses619; 09-03-2019 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks
    Your theory is correct. Your sync and counting weren’t. The backbeat is still on 2 & 4.

GJ
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions

Thanks
    Another thing I notice, watching your video again... You are counting too fast; exactly double time, as I see it. You should be counting 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & ("one-and-two-and-three-and-four-and..."), but you are counting each metronome 8th note as a quarter note-- "1234, 1234, etc. ..."

8th notes counted as quarter notes will munk you up every time...

GJ
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rhythmgj View Post
    Another thing I notice, watching your video again... You are counting too fast; exactly double time, as I see it. You should be counting 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & ("one-and-two-and-three-and-four-and..."), but you are counting each metronome 8th note as a quarter note-- "1234, 1234, etc. ..."

8th notes counted as quarter notes will munk you up every time...

GJ
    Yes i of course i know if i count in 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & (i think that would be called half time?) that the clap will be on 2 & 4 beat. However going double-time (which i was doing) it won't.

I have question, if counting in half time would 1 & 2 & 3 &4 be total of 7 beats?

Thanks
    There's an "and" after 4, so no, 8 beats.

GJ
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions

Thanks
    There's an "and" after 4, so no, 8 beats.

GJ
    Sorry, yes correct.

In your example of "1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &" i believe it's in half-time speed if i'm correct, so the clap will always be in 2&4 but if you were going double-time speed wouldn't the clap be on the "3" always?

That explains why in my video i was always on the 3
    Last edited by Moses619; 09-06-2019 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks
    Right. But you wouldn’t count it “double time.” You’d just count it where the major beats are— 1 2 3 4. The backbeat is always on 2&4 in backbeat music (which your example is). It’s just 4/4 time, 1234, snare/claps on 2 and 4.

Absolutely that simple. You were counting wrong.

GJ
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions

Thanks
    Right. But you wouldn’t count it “double time.” You’d just count it where the major beats are— 1 2 3 4. The backbeat is always on 2&4 in backbeat music (which your example is). It’s just 4/4 time, 1234, snare/claps on 2 and 4.

Absolutely that simple. You were counting wrong.

GJ
    I understand what is a backbeat now, i also watched a couple videos on backbeats. Thanks alot for helping me out with this, i really appreciate it.

Now i need to now my issue with counting bars in my video.

You said my metronome is out of sync. How is it out of sync? i don't understand what you mean

Thread Information