how to develop a good bass (in fruity or reason)

heartbeat

can somebody explan tweak a good bass in either fruity or reason. my main prob is that some notes dont sound as full as others and some notes are louder than other.

in friuty just keep messing around with the effects,and switch up notes on the piano roll until you get the right sound out of it, as far as reason ive just began to mess with it so i couldnt help you.

Last edited:
J Cro Productions said:
but i can tell the bass is much better in reason, the tweaking is much more presice.

....well thats not true, what are u using for this comparison, there's many ways to make bass in FL.

some WACK
some HOT

EQ compression.
Finding the right sound on a synth first up.

But when it comes down to it eq and compression can save you, but allways keep as your last option.
Check your filter cut off on the synth. Playing with your decay and sustain can make a massive difference. slower atacks can give you a smoother bass sound where as quicker atacks give you a harder harsher starting sound.
Look up on the net for some basic eq guides computer music or future music has one, good to give you a starting point.
Try some amp emulater plugs they can work wonders to a sound.
Dont over compress and kill your sound.
When working with live bass a compressor can be great to give you sustain on your notes.
Glide on notes can be a good friend but you dont want too much.
know your wave forms and how they sound, like understand the difference between a sine and saw triangle and so forth, this will help when trying to get a sound out of your head or to mimic a bass sound you allready like.
Watch frequences between the kick drum and bassline.

Can you suggest a compressor that is good but doesn't use all my cpu when I run the beat back? That's been killing me and I got a dope machine. I'm afraid the compressors I'm using are the problem

if you want some deep bass in FL.. try downloading starrsynth 2.2 VST from lanstarr.com. It's free and if you tweak the oscillators to just sine waves... it can give you a nice deep low end... assuming you're going for that.

oooookaaay!?!

How about...how do you get a good bass?

Widening the harmonic response by detuning and altering the octaves that 2 osc are outputting would be a great place to start

You guys are already talking about filters and we haven't even gotten past fm.

But yeah, widening the harmonic response, I don't see how you get that fat analog sound without it. Y'know, that sound pumping through subwoofer and you swear to god it is going to shake a building apart.

Let's worry about compression after we have that sound were looking for. And, let's compress so that the low end doesn't get all muddy. That is, muddy, as in the kick drum being swallowed whole by the amplification of a signal being sent through the lower end.

But, ummm, hmm, yeah, I can't stress enough the whole concept of widening the harmonic response.

Annnndd, I'm out.

Last edited by a moderator:
"altering the octaves that 2 osc are outputting "
I don't know what that means...

Can you describe how I'd do that in FL?

Back