How to choose a midi keyboard.

DIGITUS

I'm fairly new to this digital music writing scene, and I have some pretty good software programs. Recently I've read about software synths like the ( Pro 52 ). My question is this: What midi keyboard is best for a first timer. I'm looking for something that will allow me to plug into my software synth and that I won't outgrow quickly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

[Edited by DIGITUS on 01-29-2001 at 11:36 AM]

Well, it depends on what sort of music you want to produce, and how you want to produce it. A good keyboard for trace, dance, techno, and sfx, is the quasimidi raven. It's pretty simple to use, you just either create or choose from 400 non-copyrited beats/sounds/whatever, and put them together. It's got a pretty powerfull onboard sequencer, but I've got mine linnked up with cubase and it's GREAT. I even know someone who uses the raven by itself for his whole set!
If you want something more drum&bass/house/etc orientated then there are a number of options. I wouldn't go for a keyboard. I'd probably go for a series of drum machines, sequencers, samplers, and other gizmos. Oh yeah, and if you hook the raven up to a korg prophecy, you get soume of the phatest sounds since hiroshima!

Thanks

Thanks for the advice... I plan on using it for trance, gabber, hardcore, industrial, and ambient. I've been playing around with software programs for sometime now, and I feel the need for better control over my riffs and rhythms.

Back