how can i tell what pitch my 808 samples are in??

RhyanCrisis

i have some wav. 808's. such as the ones included in a lex luger drum kit.... but i know some 808's are in the different keys... i seen a tutorial on FL studio where they put the 808 sample in edison plugin and it tells them the original pitch.... is there any plugins or software that i can do that in logic pro 9 or reason 5?????

Is there any particular reason that you need to know the actual pitch? If you load them all into redrum you can play each one and tune them by ear to the rest of your composition...it's fairly straight forward....or have I missed something here?

i was watching a tutorial where the guy first look at the pitch of his 808.. i guess to keep it in key with the rest of the song... it turned out to be in G2.... in reason if i imported that.. the root would have been C3 i believe.. instead of G2... idk if it matters ot not.. but if my song is in key of Bb.. and my 808 is bumping in G... that might throw the song off or i might have to pick another kick. but what if i liked that one... all i gotta do is find the key.. (ex. G2.. and make that the root..) and if i hit C3.. it will sound different.

load up a sine that you know is in key of C then load up the 808 and play both together. adjust the 808 root note until theyre both on the same key. whatever the root note is at that point is the root of the 808

This Is what you do bruh...... Load up the particular sample in edison. Look next to the wrench youll see like a flag and ABC. click that and go to detect pitch regions.... Once you done that youll see various notes. I usually take the first one of the initial hit and lets say its f2....Go to the step sequencer click on the tab with that sample and click the INS tab on the Channel Settings, Right click any F note and it will align the notes accordingly so you can play in tune with the song...

i want to know this as well man.. been having a hard time finding the right key on 808's.. is there any plugin to know this on Logic? what's the common pitch of the 808's on shawty redd/drumma boy type of kits?

Last edited:
All methods described above will get the job done....but can be a little time consuming, especially the Edison trick...

So I looked into vst's that are Tuners....and I had found a free one called C-Tuner from VST effects

Its not always 100% accurate, but it usually gets the job done. Just load an instance to the Mixer Channel of your drum/instrument, play the Middle C note...Since by default in FL Studio, sounds are rooted in C5......Press the Middle C, and C-Tuner will show you what note is being played.......simply RIGHT-click that note in your instrument/channel settings, and there ya go. There are probably better Tuners out there....this was the first one I found that was free, so is what I've stuck with. I'm not the greatest at doing things by ear when it comes to music, so I've found this plugin to help tremendously.

I can only speak for ableton, but most DAWs should have a spectrum you can use for this. Load your sample and the spectre (if possible set it to notes resolution) play C3 and look for the highest frequency peak in the spectrum. This is the pitch of the sample, then just count notes up/down until you reach C and transpose the sample by this amount. Then you can play your keyboard and the pitches will be correct. If u need more explanation say so. This methd can be used to find everything - load up a piece of music and you can decode the melody lines and even the chords. Hope this helps

Theres a way u can do this in logic,and it has to do with using the score editor.....I saw a youtube tutorial,if i find it ill let you know...

You can do it with any kind of pitch adjust like Cubase's built in VariAudio, Melodyne etc. if you really cant figure it out.

Personally I think its VERY hard to tell the pitch of a deep 808 unless you have a sub, cause your only going to hear the top harmonics.

I'd say you should use tuners etc. to help you figure out at first but try to figure it out on your own, because in the end of the day, its going to look bad if your making a beat for someone and need to bust out a tuner to figure out if your 808's are in key...

Back