How can I really learn FM synthesis ?

eclectizm

Hi !

After almost 2 years of music production I really want to dig into FM synthesis. I have installed FM8 but all the tutorials I could find are just step by step guides about recreating a precise preset heard in a song.

I am actually looking for a guide or tutorial explaning how the different sound waves combinaisons can achieve certains types of sound while modulating each others. I would like to understand FM synthesis from the ground up in order to be able to play with it and get creative with new sounds.

I understand the principle of FM and I guess I could probably screen through presets and try to underline general rules, but I also know FM synthesis is no easy game and I would like to learn a bit faster.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help !

Sound on Sound is a marvelous audio magazine which has 'written the book' when it comes to not just FM but all Synths

The best part is, you can find it for free - right here. It's been made available for everyone :)

Now, here's the catch - it is highly technical, and very advanced at times. If you can read the entirety of "Synth Secrets" and understand it, you will be considered very very knowledgeable about synths - that said, it is more than the average musician needs to know, so using it as a main resource isn't advised.

If you are new to synths in general, I would recommend mastering subtractive synthesis first, which you can begin with here, though that's certainly not your only option. From there - another Roland guide! Available for free, naturally, how convenient.

Google is your friend, that is always important as well :)

Stay focused and good luck :D

Don't know if this clip is too basic, but that's at least how I started out with FM:

Anyway, FM synthesis is one of those techniques that you just have give time and experiment.
The principle is actually pretty simple, but it's too complex for us to easily remember how a certain osc combination with different modulations really sounds, I mean except for those very basic sounds or those very famous sounds.
Even though I'm very well familiar with FM I still have no idea what the results will be like when I try some modulation-ideas.
The only thing I can have a clue of is how the pitch of a modulator will affect the sound in a very basic way, and that is by experience, not by something I've read (even though I've read quite a lot about it).

Just give it time. :)

Anyway, are there any specific questions you have regarding FM synthesis?

One hint by the way, even though he uses other synths, check out the Youtube channel SeamlessR, he's very good at explaining different scenarios he encounter with FM when doing sounddesign tutorials, and I have learned a lot from him.

Last edited:
Hi !

Thanks a lot to both of you, Spooky Griff and steffeeh. Your answers were exactly what I needed, a pat on the back and the right directions. I have (slowly) begun reading SOS articles, it looks like a great source of knowledge. I have also watched Synthetizer Boot Camp two-part video and some others and I have started learning from the basics.

Have a good day!

Hi !

Thanks a lot to both of you, Spooky Griff and steffeeh. Your answers were exactly what I needed, a pat on the back and the right directions. I have (slowly) begun reading SOS articles, it looks like a great source of knowledge. I have also watched Synthetizer Boot Camp two-part video and some others and I have started learning from the basics.

Have a good day!

I'm glad I could help. Keep at it and remember - natural curiosity will lead you to marvelous discoveries if you let it.

Back