how can I make this sound?

Laf32

i am a huge fan of 90s g funk and westcoast beats especially battlecat. I was wondering what hardware or preferably software can recreate the sound in this song. its the pad going through out the beat kinda sounds like spooky sine waves. it was one of battlecats signature sounds. one of my friends recreated it in his motif but this song was made in 95 before motifs were available so im wondering how i can make this sound.my friend from another country said he recreated it by starting out with a basic sine lead and giving it some modulation. any ideas?

Dazzie Dee - Everybody Wants To Be A Gangsta - YouTube

If you have Reason, the device/synth "Thor" has a preset in the "Lead Synths" category called "Gangsta 3".
It is a saw wave with, with a hight octave and some ladder filtering and some "drive" and a portamento (glide), very used sound in the 90s

There you can tweek it to your taste or copy its parameters to another synth.

The synth right at the start is a 303 or something very similar, with a high res filter. Or maybe a moog but I instantly thought 303 when i heard it. I can't decide if I can hear hard syncing but it definitely sounds acid. It's hard to tell if its hardware or software as the sound quality isn't good but if its from 95 then it's probably hardware.

The key pads might be a sine wave (although they are probably not pure sine waves, maybe an additive synth or any one of a million electric piano presets). What makes them spooky is that the pitch is connected to an LFO with a fade in, and then put through reverb.

The brass like pads in the background are just sawtooth, maybe highpassed.

You can get software versions of 303s, moogs, additive synths and electric pianos as well as lots of other software synths that can achieve the same sounds.

Last edited:
Back