How can I make my 808 kicks sound like this?

Theres nothing special there but an eq and compressor with a distortion setting, you can do it all in FL.

Can you explain? I tried to EQ the 808 to sound like that but to no avail. Actually, sometimes I can get it to sound like that, but when I up or lower the pitch it doesn't sound like it does in that song.

Last edited:
i suppose what you are looking for is the way the kicks flow into each other right ? the wuuuh type effect it gives. to do this, in the sample you use set voices to 1 and put the glide function on. this makes each note slide into each other, just play with the knob depending on how fast/slow you want the slide to be

i suppose what you are looking for is the way the kicks flow into each other right ? the wuuuh type effect it gives. to do this, in the sample you use set voices to 1 and put the glide function on. this makes each note slide into each other, just play with the knob depending on how fast/slow you want the slide to be

is all this under Polyphony? i dont see voices or glide setting but i know polyphony makes notes slide.

i cant speak for 3x osc as im on a mac and FL studio is windows only, but do a search for 3x osc glide on google and you should get some hits. I cant post links, but in one of the first links there is a tutorial for electro house bass, and he shows how to use glide. Check it out

Hmm, I already knew how to do slides, but what I'm talking about is the sound of the 808 when it changes pitch (i.e: when it goes up then back to normal). When the pitch changes in the link I posted, it still sounds like a knocking 808, but when I try to play it at a different pitch, it doesn't even sound good anymore. For instance, say the normal pitch of the 808 is in the note of 'A'. I then decide to pitch the 808 up to the note of 'E' during the pattern and the 808 doesn't even sound good anymore. I'm not sure if this makes any sense... it's really hard to describe a sound LOL...

Last edited:
If you are looking for quick and effective results I would recommend you look somewhere online for a Lex Luger drum kit. I have heard some decent drum kits with solid 808 bass samples. Most of the time these samples will get the job done, good luck!
--
Lord Noir
Twitter.com/LordNoirTweets

Meek Mill ft. Big Sean "Burn" by Dream Chasers Records on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Are my 808 Kick sounds just horrible? Anytime I try to make an 808 pattern like the one in that song, the pitch changes during the pattern sounds NOTHING like that.

your kicks have a great high end but not much bottom. either you have the kicks at a high octave level or the samples themselves aren't that deep and thick. same goes for your bass/808 sounds. the octaves are too high up. drop them a couple octaves. and as far as pitch shifting/note bending/p0ortamento goes i didn't hear that from that track. all the producer did was sequence the bass notes from low to high over and over again.

i kinda have the same question. i think its mainly the way you compress your kick and bass and/or the sample you have

Sounds like they used a bit crusher to make it sound more analog,i can hear the clipping. Im not impressed with those drums though they sound distorted to me and mono not really wide enough for me. This dude drums sound ok right here.
http://snd.sc/MrT5cY

Last edited:
all of jahlil's beats have this distorted ass 808, but it goes pretty hard honestly.
i like that juicy j beat tho, FAT kick

Back