How Can I Make A chord progressions

M-AKR

Whats Up
Im new Beat Maker I Now I Studying The Basics Of Music And I Know The Scales And Keys But There Are Rules When I Make A chord progressions ..?​

Making a chord progression is a process that involves many rules, all of which can be broken.

The main rule that you want to stick to has to do with 'cadences'. There are many different types of cadences; essentially they are a chord that leads back to the 'tonic', or home chord of a key (C Major if you are in the key of C Major, for instance). The typical ones in major are the V chord (G in C major) and the IV chord (F in C major).

There is a whole ton of theory to explore; I would look at musictheory.net, or just take a look at wikipedia.

I did a little research and found "Theory of Harmony" by Arnold Shoenberg. There are excellent reviews on Amazon for this book. It's a bit dense, but the explanations are very thorough and helpful. I'm now reading a section on the connection of diatonic triads (read: simple chords) in short phrases. He has great little exercises for this that I'm working through in my DAW.

You don't neccessarilly have to make up your own chord progressions - you can just copy them from another song.

My advice would be (before getting involved in a lot of theoretical stuff which you may or may not want to do) to listen to songs that you like and note the chord progressions used. Start with "Love the way you lie" (everyone likes this :)) and build from there.

You can go a long way with only knowing a few chord progressions and I think this is the best way to start...

Google Circle of Fifths, understand it, and it'll create a good foundation to start on. Also learn the different musical modes and it will make your songwriting easier and more pleasing to the ear. Although, as stated above, realize that there is no right or wrong way of playing various chord progressions in a song, to me the transitions between chord progressions are key to making the different parts in the tracks cohesive and a great song as a whole.

Back