How can I find the key of an acapella?

maximedupre

View attachment Rappers Delight Acapella.mp3

The acapella I have linked is more like a rap, which makes it more difficult to find it's key since I can't really play it with a keyboard (But even if it was a very melodic vocal it would take me 3 hours since I don't have a very developed ear for notes).

So since I can't really find the scale by ear, I downloaded the Melodyne demo. When I analyze this track with melodyne it says it is in F Major. Since my track is in A#, I need to pitch the vocals up 5 semitones. The things is I don't see any improvements (or regression) at +5 semitones, +1 semitone or 0 semitones to match my track. Also, I have used an online tool that have analyzed it to B, so I'm thinking none of those tools are reliable.

So my question is....how can I really know on what key is this acapella? ^^

PS: I have linked the acapella

I make it Bb (aka A#) - settled on it after 10" but played with it for 90" to be absolutely certain

when the girls come I get a movement of F down to Eb and back to Bb, could also do that as Dm down to Cm and back to Bb or Gm

I make it Bb (aka A#) - settled on it after 10" but played with it for 90" to be absolutely certain

when the girls come I get a movement of F down to Eb and back to Bb, could also do that as Dm down to Cm and back to Bb or Gm

Did you find out just by listening to the track :| ?
So If my song is in A#, I guess I don't need to pitch the vocals at all!
Now I think this acapella is in Major (all the algos to find the key told me it was major, even though they didn't have the right key), but my song is in Minor. Practically, should I have some problems playing a melody in Minor over the acapellas that are in Major? I currently have an A#m melody playing over the acapella, but I can't get too any conclusion...
Also, when you say 10" you mean 10 bars?

Thank you, I appreciate the help!

10" = 0:10 = 10 seconds

as for hearing it - I used my guitar which is accurately tuned to work out which chord worked best under the phrase and then played some of the melodic material I heard as well - Bb major was the decision (btw Bb major has two flats whereas A# major has 10 sharps - easier to describe it as Bb major really)

given your tonal region I would go With Gminor instead of A# minor - bring it down 3 semitones (black and white keys below) or up 9 semitones

Back