How to achieve that gritty sound.

Luminosity

Hey, fairly new to producing, and the few beats i've made all sound so processed and, i don't know, even childish?

I can write good melodies, and i'm okay with chord progressions and so on, but whenever i set out to make a serious beat, it just sounds like i said, processed.

by gritty, or raw, i mean songs like survival of the fittest by mobb deep, or some old tech n9ne stuff.

What can i do to get that sound? any particular synths? chords? programs?

Thanks in advance.

Make more music. You'll grow and learn getting better and better with each one. As for grit, try layering noise with your samples, use distortion, use noise as a sonic backdrop.

Last edited:
try what he said, and me personally I like to cut the highs off the sound just a little bit, I hate when everything is all bright, but not too much tho.
Sampletron is a good gritty VST, probly one of my favs. it compliments philharmonic VST nicley, polish and grit at the same time.
Old tech n9ne shit is stuff I can feel, you might like IK products. And not just sayin that because ObiK posted before me LOL sampletron is my go to gritty strings and everything else, sound like some old ass movies and shit.

try what he said, and me personally I like to cut the highs off the sound just a little bit, I hate when everything is all bright, but not too much tho.
Sampletron is a good gritty VST, probly one of my favs. it compliments philharmonic VST nicley, polish and grit at the same time.
Old tech n9ne shit is stuff I can feel, you might like IK products. And not just sayin that because ObiK posted before me LOL sampletron is my go to gritty strings and everything else, sound like some old ass movies and shit.

I'll co-sign the IK stuff, plus maybe old proteus sound fonts.

Thanks for the SampleTron shoutout, really does give you a old sample gem you found digging in crates when you play SampleTron. Tons of instant lofi sounds.

Back