help with r&b, please, heads exploding

Kudo

ok so recently ive been looking at r&b is played and im more confused than ever but im sure ill understand someday

i have a branched question though, in the song below, i notice the bassline aroine 14 sceonds is difnetly in a minor key right? what about everything else?

im asking this because when i like to learn stuff in a song, ill try playing it in FL studio to see what rhythm was used etc, so when i tried to replicate the beat, starting from the bassline, everything just sounds evil, which is cool but im looking for that sexy minor, if that makes sense lol

it goes from dark twisted bass line, to basically kind of cheerful, is the whole song in a minor key and im just overthinking it?

what are the chords playing in the background? are they a major chords?

heres the song

YouTube

hope you guys can help

Caveats-- I don't have time to listen all the way through now, and I only have access to an out-of-tune piano right now, so I might be off by a half-step or more...

BUT-- It sounds like a simple two-chord song. EMaj7 to Ab. No biggie. Scanning through, I don't hear a bridge or a change, so I think that's the whole thing.

GJ

PS/Edit: For the theory heads, E is a sharp key so technically the Ab would be a G#. It's just musician's short-hand.

GJ

PS/Edit: For the theory heads, E is a sharp key so technically the Ab would be a G#. It's just musician's short-hand.

GJ

i guess im asking, is it all in one key (g minor) and have i been overthinking it? is it a major chord being played in the background and the bass on the minor keys to achieve that effect? if that makes sense

how many popular songs change key ? or is that for the advanced people, if you know what i mean, when i play cmin7 and then dmin7 its like they contrast well, but dont wanna make it too complicated for myself, is this something i should belooking into?

this is just my opinion but i believe a lot of songs dont change key at all, its all about sticking to the scale in most cases. in this case its probably the way you see chords, you can still be in lets say cminor and use a major chord while still in c long as the notes used are still in its scale. Mess around with stacking more notes and i think youll find that to help.

To achieve the "sexy chord" use this method on your keyboard using any root note, look at the root note as the number zero and your starting point then count up the scale and skip the notes not specified. 0, 3, 7, 10, *2 ...the *2 is and octave higher from the 2nd note in your scale, drop those notes in and you should achieve that sound. At least one way of doing it. Hope this helps

? {Free} "Sacrifices" x D Red Beatz (Tory Lanez Ft. Drake Type Beat) ? F4F!

It's hard to answer these questions when there are some (quite a lot, actually) misunderstandings of basic music theory.

Look-up posts by a guy named BandCoach. Study them, learn them, know them.

Also, don't start your scales on "0;" start them on "1," and when you get to "8" you are on the octave. You will not be changing keys in a two-chord song (unless there is a modulation later in the song, which is by definition a key-change, but in that case, the song would still only have two-chords so in the new key, it would still stay in one key, if that makes sense).

GJ

Back