having trouble making drums for a sampled song

rasol

i am making a beat out of this, i have not sped up the song or anything and my chops are two bars each, so its the same as the song just rearranged. so i have it at 67 bpm, and maybe thats the problem? i just cant seem to find the right way to put drums in. anyone who sampled regularly have advice for doing drums with samples? i am manually recording them in through a midi keyboard. this is the song:

Last edited by a moderator:
where did you get 67bmp? When I tapped it out I ended on around 90bpm. I don't think it's a perfect fit, but it would sound alot better with drums added on top. Also the longer your chops are, the more precise the bpm has to be in order for it to sync and sound good.

1) this is in 6/8 so if you were trying to tap the crotchet pulse you would get something like 140bpm-150bpm which if halved comes close to your 69bpm
2) given that it is 6/8 there are only two pulses per bar: I get something close to 90bpm (varies up and down from 88bpm to 94bpm) as the track plays
3) if you don't understand 6/8 play it in triplet 8ths in 2/4 or 4/4

1) this is in 6/8 so if you were trying to tap the crotchet pulse you would get something like 140bpm-150bpm which if halved comes close to your 69bpm
2) given that it is 6/8 there are only two pulses per bar: I get something close to 90bpm (varies up and down from 88bpm to 94bpm) as the track plays
3) if you don't understand 6/8 play it in triplet 8ths in 2/4 or 4/4

thanks for the help, but i would need further explanation of that 2/4, and 4/4 timing stuff. thinking i might just make the chops smaller, as in just 1/8 notes or whatever youd call playing one piano key

you are counting 1-2-3-4-5-6 for this piece, with each number an 8th note

if you wanted to play it using 2/4 or 4/4 you would count it like so

1-2-3-2-2-3(-3-2-3-4-2-3) where the numbers between beats are triplet 8ths

bro this is an insane sample.. I don't get what you mean for the drum, are you going to keep the sample as is ?.

..depending on how you will sample it, you should find a drum pattern to your liking,, I really don't get your question ..

do you want to speed the sample or keep it the same speed and do some mellow hip hop or heavy dj premier type drum hip hop , if yes, then you would need to have a 90 bpm tempo and then play with the speed of your chops so they fit to that tempo... 67 is pretty slow in my opinion, but hey you do what you gotta ddo

Not to break your spirit or nothing, but you have a long way to go. There's so much I hear that needs adjustments.

1. Just keep doing it. You will get better with time.

2. Learn some mastering (EQ) and how each component should sit in the mix to make it sound good. look into some popular sampled songs and make notice of how loud each component of the song is. E.g: the bass vs the drums vs the sample.

3. watch alot of tutorials on how to sample. The beat you made is very simple and boring. I can give credit for changing it up once in awhile, but still, It needs alot of improvement.

4. It seems very random put together. There's no "blueprint". Learn about arrangement and song structure. (intro, verse, chorus etc.)

I'm by no means a pro myself, and I only covered a snowflake on the top of the mountain here. good luck! :)

Last edited:
hey man, i love the honest feedback. sampling is very hard to learn, as i have now a greater appreciation for the great sample based producers and now more anger for the people who blast sample based producers. it is a frustrating process learning it, but i hope to get it down someday

that's why when people say Dj Premier is slacking nowadays,, I'm like - you are saying that because you did not hear how the original song/sample was.

The final result is always nice, but they way the producer arrives to that result is much more interesting !

like kanye going from Lenny Williams[h=1]'Cause I Love You to twista - overnight celebrity..[/h]
Use the website WhoSampled.com to study samples from your favorite songs, it will help a lot to understand techniques and mixing skills..

also watch "rhythm roulette" on youutbe

Back