Harmonic Phase

I have never heard this term. If I was to take a random shot:

The phase between the musical notes that can form chords and melodies. Some notes phase well together and envoke a feeling or emotion in us. Some notes played together would not agree with each other or sound "musically incorrect". aka phases don't "phase" each other. movement is awkard

In other words picture high school math class. The sine wave is what a musical frequency looks like. For it to go up, down, then back to where it started is completeing the phase cycle. the halfway point would be 180 degrees in phase. Squish the sine wave into twice the distance or stretch it twice as far, you now have the same note an octave higher or lower. ex. (A=220 hz, 440 hz, 880 hz etc). Music is math, the right distances between notes must be calculated.

Sine waves (notes) that are a certain distance apart together sound good when played together, therefore being in "harmonic phase".

That would be my take, I'm sure someone here can take it further

Last edited:
I have never heard this term. If I was to take a random shot:

The phase between the musical notes that can form chords and melodies. Some notes phase well together and envoke a feeling or emotion in us. Some notes played together would not agree with each other or sound "musically incorrect". aka phases don't "phase" each other. movement is awkard

In other words picture high school math class. The sine wave is what a musical frequency looks like. For it to go up, down, then back to where it started is completeing the phase cycle. the halfway point would be 180 degrees in phase. Squish the sine wave into twice the distance or stretch it twice as far, you now have the same note an octave higher or lower. ex. (A=220 hz, 440 hz, 880 hz etc). Music is math, the right distances between notes must be calculated.

Sine waves (notes) that are a certain distance apart together sound good when played together, therefore being in "harmonic phase".

That would be my take, I'm sure someone here can take it further

Basically, "I don't know what the threadstarter is talking about, so I'll just make up an answer to boost my post count"
And what you're describing in the first part of your "answer" is dissonance and consonance.

Basically, "I don't know what the threadstarter is talking about, so I'll just make up an answer to boost my post count"
And what you're describing in the first part of your "answer" is dissonance and consonance.

I have never heard of a forum "post count". These forums are to try and help and be helped by fellow producers on problems they are having. I can assure you no matter how helpful or not helpful my post was, yours wasn't whatsoever.

The first part of my answer I am not describing dissonance and consosance. I am describing the difference between chords and just playing random notes together. Once you a playing a proper chord then you can decide if it is dissonant or consonant.

I will assume since you only commented on the first part of my answer, you blatantly ignored the rest or didn't understand it.

What I talked about is 100% accurate, whether or not it I answered the "threadstarter" question is hard to know because there weren't many details given.

But I guarentee your post didn't help anyone except maybe boost your "post count".

Music's a gift, not a competition man. You're in the wrong field

Last edited:
be prepared to learn something wapiti :)

if we analyse any signal with the Fourier transform or its cousins the FFT and DFFT we are able to get different interpretations of the signal, depending on the parameters we use. Two of these are the Harmonic Intensity profile, showing intensity of each harmonic at a given snapshot in time and the Harmonic Phase profile, showing the phase angle of each harmonic at a given snapshot in time.

the rendering of the harmonic phase as a series of phase angles for each harmonic can provide important clues as to how the real sound can be resynthesised as time moves forward, as most real sounds have complex phase relationships in their harmonic structure over time.

Any other usage would be nonsensical in theoretical terms as harmonic phasing as a concept of compositional does not exist, rhythmic phasing and melodic phasing, on the other hand, does

Back