Hard Dance/Trance

DJ Hero

I have been spinning (as a DJ) the harder styles of trance (along the lines of Lee Haslam, Lee Pasch, Guyver, Berry Diston, etc etc.) for 9 years, and have recently gotten into production. However I have this problem that I am having difficulties over coming. I don't know a lick of practical music theory along the lines of chord progression, and melody progression. Sad thing is I can sit, and listen to a song, and hear just about every note, but when I sit down to write it I can seem to place everything where I want it. What I would like to gain is a strong workable knowledge of writing melodies over 32 beats, and the according note pressions. For instance, what is it called when a bassline goes to a lower key while the main synths go to a higher key? If anyone can guide me to a website I can gain this knowledge, or can write it here I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
DJ Hero

Can't listen to it or download it... The website keeps asking me for "Authentication." You need to take the password off it...

DJ,
Im in nashville. I never dj'ed but Im in the same boat as you. I have a pretty decent setup here if you want to cruise by someday.I have had a heck of a time finding any real crash course in music theory and the way it applies to dance music. Im one of those people that learns by doing so im hitting walls as I cant find anyone to show me .
Also, id love to drive out and here you play. Let me know.
You can send me email at ciscomanvann-at-yah00.com , just slap you an @ instead of the -at- and yahoo.com instead of yah00.com . Sorry to be a pain but i dont want da spam.

DJ Hero said:
What I would like to gain is a strong workable knowledge of writing melodies over 32 beats, and the according note pressions. For instance, what is it called when a bassline goes to a lower key while the main synths go to a higher key? If anyone can guide me to a website I can gain this knowledge, or can write it here I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
DJ Hero

Well, I would start on matching up music language with what you have in your mind (i.e. I think you mean bars not beats, notes not keys, etc.). Next: learn chords from a keyboard. For the DJ mind start with 2 bar phrases and build from there.
You express what you feel with what you know.

To be honest mate, what I'd do is get your keyboard and try and play along with whatever tune you have in mind. This will give you more of an idea what sort of thing is going on in the type of music you listen to.

IF you PM me I'll send you a transcription of what notes you need to play for Lee Haslam - Music is the Drug or maybe some other tune you want if I've got it (I know most of the decent hard trance that's on Tidy Trax.)

Filo,

did you listen to my last song?

That's where I am at. I have solid working knowledge of fruityloops. I can produce just about anything I want in there, but most of the time I get hung up with the synths. For some reason I can't make them really get going like I would like them to. I don't know if it is because I can't get my brain to think far enough ahead (thus causing me to here my loop re-loop too much), or if it is something I need to know more about theory about. I can't get the sounds I want, I just can't seem to make them dance the way I want them to when I write them.

Back