good music with different time signature?

Hey FP,

any of you got any names of songs that were written in time signatures other than 4/4??? (6/4, 3/3 anything)
in any style of music (hiphop, techno, classical, jazz, pop etc)

im trying to understand the logic behind it, like when the song was being written, what made the composer think or feel like: "after 3bars the melody will repeat itself"

i didn't find much songs written in different time signatures but i did notice that "Derb - In Africa" is written in 4/3 (i think?)

any input is greatly appreciated
POD

Anything that is a waltz is in 3/4,

Polkas will usally push a 2/4,

check out some musicians like Dave Brubeck, frank zappa , virgil donati ( drummer ) , Miles davis, coltrane, Tool.

I will go thru some stuff and find some examples and put the time signature and the the song, but cant do it now but will do it later.
And if need be i could record some stuff with just click track and guitar to give you examples of the feel of different time signatures.

houseofthesun said:
Anything that is a waltz is in 3/4,

Polkas will usally push a 2/4,

check out some musicians like Dave Brubeck, frank zappa , virgil donati ( drummer ) , Miles davis, coltrane, Tool.

I will go thru some stuff and find some examples and put the time signature and the the song, but cant do it now but will do it later.
And if need be i could record some stuff with just click track and guitar to give you examples of the feel of different time signatures.

thanks man,

i will do some digging and analyze those, i find it pretty interesting

if you got any other suggestions or examples that be great!

6/8 is a very popular time signature. It is widely used in jazz, African, Near Eastern and 'classical' (e.g. sonatas, etc.) music. Even Alicia Keys uses it.

1/1 has always been my favorite :D

for mixed meter stuff,

try pink floyd, the beatles, blues music...or a lot of prog rock (current or ol' school)

-Lodger

houseofthesun said:

I'm interested in this too, once i posted here the thread like this one. So it would be great if u made that track and posted it here.

facedogg said:
I read somewhere that "Hey Ya" by Outkast is in 11/4

This is how I would count Outkast's "Hey Ya":

||:4/4, 4/4, 4/4, 2/4, 4/4, 4/4:||

it would also be acceptable to count it like this:

||:4/4, 4/4, 6/4, 4/4, 4/4:||

...there is more than one way to logically group the measures together.

...but "11/4" is not one of those logical groupings.

Checkout Dave Brubeck Quartets 'Take Five', it's in 5/4, good jazz stuff, also, I believe Alicia Keys 'If I ain't Got You' is 3/4,

dvyce said:

lets say im listening to an acoustic piece written in 3/4

i'll never realise that it is in 3/4 unless there is drums (kick/snares/hats) playing along.

like 2 years ago there was this track i really liked which i decided to sample. the first couple hours i was ripping the hair off my head cause i could'nt manage to sample it properly, after long hrs of messing around, i realized it was in 3/3...

PrinceOfDarkness said:

lets say im listening to an acoustic piece written in 3/4

i'll never realise that it is in 3/4 unless there is drums (kick/snares/hats) playing along.

like 2 years ago there was this track i really liked which i decided to sample. the first couple hours i was ripping the hair off my head cause i could'nt manage to sample it properly, after long hrs of messing around, i realized it was in 3/3...

ahhhh.... Ok... i see what you are saying.

more modern, commercial tracks-wise, i've only (consciously) come across

3/4 silverchair "tuna in the brine"
3/4 edwin mccain "i'll be"

and til 1 minute ago, 3/4 alicia keys "if i aint got you". heh.

there's def more out there (of modern, mainstream tracks) thats *not* 4/4, its just a matter of finding it out - coz personally i cant tell til i actually count the beats - and how many songs you listen to everyday that you start counting its beats and time signature? heh

avex said:
its just a matter of finding it out - coz personally i cant tell til i actually count the beats - and how many songs you listen to everyday that you start counting its beats and time signature? heh

yea thats what im sayin...
but its interesting how these songs are composed

'money' by pink floyd is 7/8. it switches to 4/4 after the second chorus, and goes back to 7/8 before the third verse.

"The Becoming" by Nine Inch Nails has phrases that are 2 measures long... the first measure of the phrase is 7/4 and the second measure is 6/4.

("measure" = "bar"... for those who don't know :) )

Steve Reich is a good start. Try 'Music for 18 Musicians'. Composed in 1976, it's basically in 6/8 but experiments heavily with phase relationships and syncopation, and sounds like something Orbital might've made had they come from a classical traditional.

I make techno and electronic stuff in other time signatures, too.

http://www.frey.co.nz/tracks

'seven' is straightish techno in 7/4
http://www.frey.co.nz/?p=74

'recirculate' is more dub tinged techno in 3/4
http://www.frey.co.nz/?p=75

More at http://www.frey.co.nz/tracks, including several that play around with syncopation and phase, which is a long-term musical interest of mine.

I'm starting up a net label exclusively for techno that goes beyond the 4/4 time signature, if anyone's interested in submitting tracks email me at damian(at)frey(dot)co(dot)nz.

chur, d

Last edited:
All about 5/4. Nothing sounds like that. It's in between 4/4 and 6/8, it has that swing but with an extra beat that puts you off. In jazz, love it man

Back