Getting a progressive house piano sound?

Nexosaur

Multi-Genre Maker
I am making a track, and in the drop I want to have the generic, bright progressive house sounding piano in the background playing chords. However, I've tried a bunch of different things with multiple different piano sounds and I can't get the same effect.

The kind of piano sound I'm looking for is at 1:14 in this track.

I have Logic Pro X with it's one piano sound in ES24 and Kontakt 5's default library as well as Evolve.

this requires some band pass filtering - try setting the upper cutoff around 8kHz and the lower cutoff around 100Hz tweak bandwidth (Q) to taste and apply a deep cut of about -18db on either end

You'll get pretty far with a decent grand piano sound.

Also, this might be different for many, but I find that I often have to compress pianos quite a bit if I try to use them that way. (Especially at that tempo). You can also add a slight touch of reverb to brighten them up a bit more. Keep your high damping and your decay very low or it will sound too harsh.

Make sure you edit your individual note parameters while you're composing your piano melodies. If all of your notes are the same exact level, you'll make your job of mixing a lot harder. Before you adjust EQs, maybe try adjusting your note velocities and releases. Cutting the releases of your lower piano notes helps clean up your low end by reducing overlap. (You can only adjust your release if they're sustaining notes).

Pianos take up quite a lot of the frequency spectrum, so you probably won't have that much other synth work going on (except for a pad or something) if you use them all out like that for chords. They also sound a bit unnatural if you EQ them too much, so keep that in mind.

I've gotten a good sound now! I found a piano sound in Evolve that I had to tamper with to get it to play in the right range, but it works. Thanks for the help! I used the EQ and such and got everything sounding good.

Back