Getting a funk/soul guitar sound

Masterhyde

Hello everyone. I've been making beats for quite a while now but there's one sound I've never been able to get. It's basically the funk/soul guitar sound. I'm pretty sure it's done with an electric, but I'm used to Synths where you change the sound by changing the patch used. I've tried for a long time to find info on how to get the sound to no avail. It seems like most of the info I find on the net has to do with getting rock/heavy metal sounds as opposed to funk or soul.

Now I have a Fender Stratocaster and can pretty much play anything I'd need in terms of rhythm. But the "sound" is never right! I've been told I need either an amp or amp simulator to shape the sound, and since I won't be playing live, went for amp simulators. I have a POD 2.0 and I also have Guitar Rig 2 (I also have a Crybaby wah pedal, FYI). I read the directions on both the POD and Guitar Rig, but my problem is I don't know how to set an actual amp, so I don't know how to set the simulators either! Some people have said "just play around with it", which I've been doing for years, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I've looked on the net, but most of the settings I've found for the POD work with the PODXT, and I just have the POD 2.0. And for both the POD and Guitar Rig most of the people explaining the use seem like they are speaking to guitarists who already understand how to set real life amps and are just looking to do the same thing on the computer.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I can give examples of the sound I'm looking for if that would help as well. Thanks.

Masterhyde

An example would be helpful.

I will tell you without hearing an example that you might want to lower your bridge and middle position pickups down fairly low. The middle pickup should be a little lower than the bridge pickup.

Last edited:
Man, I don't know about Pod, but if you already have a real Wah pedal and Guitar Rig 2, then I don't see what's the problem. Also, in GR2 you can filter presets by style. You should already know this from the instructions.

[krom8] said:
An example would be helpful.
Cool. All I'm trying to do is, for example, something like "Sweet Thing" by Rufus featuring Chaka Khan. Just a background accompanying funk type guitar. I uploaded some snippets of the types of guitar sound I'm looking for:

(Apparently I can't post links, so you need to put "www" and "." in front of each link or they won't find the file)

Brand New Heavies - Apparently Nothing
soundupload.com/audio/rdq1101oj43v4y0

Conya Doss - You Really Hurt Me
soundupload.com/audio/wlxo4qbulsegs9j

Jamiroquai - Emergency On Planet Earth
soundupload.com/audio/pa6idx8yngrvtz2

Joss Stone - Torn And Tattered
soundupload.com/audio/ex5l7e26lr6cl1f

Download Lina feat Boobonic - It's All Right
soundupload.com/audio/rmljmrj83f19dko

Rufus & Chaka Khan - Sweet Thing
soundupload.com/audio/purvz69ujrjw6po

They are all pretty small files as they are no more than 4 bars each. I'm particularly interested in the Conya Doss song, and just in the guitar part (not the bassline).

[Shizo] said:
Man, I don't know about Pod, but if you already have a real Wah pedal and Guitar Rig 2, then I don't see what's the problem.
The major problem I have is if you gave me the exact same amp/guitar/wah pedal and any other equipment any of those clips I listed above used I still don't know how to make the settings! And If I don't know how to set them with the real amp, I'll have trouble with an amp simulator, which is set up like a real amp. Also, people who do funk don't seem to talk about their settings on the net. The discussions I see are all about rock/metal type guitar.

[Shizo] said:
Also, in GR2 you can filter presets by style. You should already know this from the instructions.
I've gone through the styles, and none of them sound close to what I want. Again it's probably something custom, and I know how to use the settings and to set everything up. I just don't know what to do from a music perspective. If someone could post how they'd do it on an actual amp I could adapt it to the guitar rig.

Last edited:
Yeah, but what's the problem with Crybaby Wah pedal? There is no settings there. Just press the pedal and hear the "wah-wah" sound.

Is your problem with hearing the wah sound or the tone of the guitar itself?
If it's the wah sound, then in Guitar Rig make sure you have sufficient line input. Guitar's signal + your playing should be loud enough to open the wah's filter gate. Also, on my guitar it works best with the pickups switch in the "middle" position. Here is an example of me playing Wah (although the tone is not very good, it needs more distortion before wah) https://www.youtube.com/user/shizo668

I went to college with Conya Doss. Hung out just a little. She was just as pretty and talented then.

Oh, and to answer your question.

Scoop (i.e. cut) the mids. Boost the lows a little, and the highs. That might get you on your way. And use the lighter gauges of strings. (Ernie Ball Slinky, maybe)

Last edited:
Maybe it's the notes and chords you are playing?

For 'Funk' type stuff, try dominant chords and 9th, 11th and 13th chords, 13th tend to be more jazz-like but it's about how you phrase them, used as passing chords it still sounds funky. Try doing riffs in a Mixolydian mode over dominant chords and riffs in Dorian mode over minor chords.

Those 2 modes always sound funky to me with the right playing style anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
[Shizo] said:
Yeah, but what's the problem with Crybaby Wah pedal? There is no settings there. Just press the pedal and hear the "wah-wah" sound.
There is no problem with the wah pedal. It works fine.

[Shizo] said:
Is your problem with hearing the wah sound or the tone of the guitar itself?
It's the tone of the guitar itself. Here's me trying to play that riff you played in your YouTube video (which sounded good to me) without the chord change and playing the totally wrong notes:

Me Strumming
soundupload.com/audio/lmzdfaxlvgspoje

Again, add the "www" and "." since I can't post links.

As you can hear from that, my Strat doesn't "sound" that great. If I could get the sound you have on your YouTube Video, I'd be a happy man! What did you run your guitar thru and what were the settings? And as an aside, I understand that you used a wah pedal, but I just want the basic sound and I can add the wah later.

In your clip it sounds like you're holding strings with your palm and playing through a clean amp.

I don't have any pedals. Just the Guitar Rig 2. Unfortunately, I renamed the patch, but you can find it in Search tab. Input fields "Style: Funk" and "Author: Hans Van Even"
In the stack, it doesn't actually have the AutoWah effect. It uses AutoFilter instead. The settings in my clip are not good though, the gate should be set at a higher dB for deeper Wah effect. I guess with EQ adjustments you can make it sound even better!

PS: I'm playing chords x57565, x57588 then x02010, x02410
Playing "staccato" by muting strings with my palm after letting them resonate for a second (after each strum).

Last edited:
Off the top of my head I'd say you'd want to cut some of the bass and increase your mids a little - that'll give it a slightly old-school, lo-fi kinda sound. You'd then want to add some mild overdrive and compression.

Guitar Rig is good for applying effects after the fact, but you'll need a pre-amp to record the guitar - so you're better off using some basic settings on the Pod. Go for something like the ’59 Fender Bassman or the ’60 Tweed Fender Champ amp models and a small cabinet (1x12 or something). You can then add some compression (and a little overdrive if you like) in Guitar Rig. EQ it so it quite thin and twangy and you should be away...

If you're talking about the thin, skanky rhythm guitar sound I think you're talking about...

-scoop the lows and some mids to thin the sound out
-keep it fairly clean
-compress it
-use lighter guage strings

At least that's how I get it. I had a Pod XT for a while. The Fender & Blackface patches were good for this. Try the Blackface emulation with some compression.

Last edited:
Back