Gate reverb snares

V

Vurki

Hey

I'm not talkin' about the rock snares but the more electric sounding ones that were used from mid to late 80's and early 90's. How is that sound created? Probably best example is Michael Jackson's album Bad, that contains the snare sound I'm looking for in almost every songs.

Bad - snare comes at 00:18

Just Good Friends - snare comes at 00:17

Those two differ from each others just like every snare on Bad and all the other albums too, but the general sound - how is that produced? Hard to believe it would be an acoustic snare with gated reverb. Other album examples include Michael's Dangerous and Janet Jackson's Control and the whole new jack swing genre generally. If you have access to Smooth Criminal Annie Mix, you can hear that snare clearly.

Help me!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember reading about how Billie Jean was recorded (By the person that recorded it) and hearing that what sounded like an obvious drum machine, to me, was actually a real drummer. (From MJ's previous album thriller) The point being that sometimes it is hard to tell how something was done just by hearing the recording.

I think it could be a number of things - sample, more than one sample, real drummer with processing. Not sure. Sometimes a search will find the answer.

EP

OR throwing a gated reverb on it and wala! or maybe a normal reverb with a really short release might work too

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Thanks for replies. After starting the topic I really started to experiment with my NI Reflektor and I realized it works. The problem had been that I had simply used bad samples for convolution!

P.S. I had read that same text Emmapeel9, Bruce Swedien explaining about the recording and mixing of Billie Jean. I also was amazed by the fact that a drummer had played the whole shit in one take. Unbelievable :) You're never too old to learn, no matter if it's about gating reverb or recording drums...

Back