Future bass sound design?

The way sound design works is you try things. A lot. Everything. Then keep what you find.

I think people get the impression that what you hear in a track is the entirety of the content created while making that track. It's not. You are only hearing a fraction. That's the key to sound design. It's not turning on a synth and dialing in exactly what you imagine.

Any tip anyone can give you here will likely point you right at something someone else already did.

Use outer space beep and blips. I know 6blocc has a cool sound kit with those types of "space station" sound effects and risers. Use very unique synths to make it sound new to people. If it's already been used before, it's not quite future yet. It won't have the foreign "alien" style sound. drums and rhythm are up to you. There's a variety of styles from trance to hip hop that are futuristic.

Use outer space beep and blips. I know 6blocc has a cool sound kit with those types of "space station" sound effects and risers. Use very unique synths to make it sound new to people. If it's already been used before, it's not quite future yet. It won't have the foreign "alien" style sound. drums and rhythm are up to you. There's a variety of styles from trance to hip hop that are futuristic.
lol I'm pretty sure he meant Future, the rapper.

ah forsure lol, "future beats" are becoming a thing, oddly enough like the next era of electronic music maybe. My bad, lol

Try PureData. It's a programming language for sound design similiar to Max/MSP. I think there are some templates out there that can be used to create some interesting material. I personally only scratched the surface of PureData, it can become pretty complex and time intensive but I think that's what many professional sound designers use for their installations

Hi

i Was wondering if I could get some tips on sound design beyond watching tuts.

In particular, supersaws but also pads and other synths!

If you need an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI-t2M0t63s&index=36&list=PLe8jmEHFkvsbRwwi0ode5c9iMQ2dyJU3N

PEAS!

Splice has a lot of great Future Bass samples, and the sub is only like, $7 a month. I use it, and I really like their samples.

Experiment with different waveform combinations in your synths, as well as adding lots of slide. Tons of slide. Just absolutely fucktons of slide. Your synths should sound like they're slipping all over the place.

Chop up vocals samples and pitch shift them. Use a lot of sidechain compression for your pads/synths, but keep the arps relatively untouched.

Add shit tons of reverb to everything. Bass boost the fuck out of everything.

Or you know, just do ya thang.

Last edited:
lol I'm pretty sure he meant Future, the rapper.

Nah,I'm pretty sure he meant "future bass" as in the genre or style of bass for some electronic music. Future, the rapper...haha what a fuckin brainless shitbag that guy is. My opinion aside...

AhooJidao, do you mean the particulars of how the synth patches are designed or how they are resampled and manipulated?
A lot of the stuff is not simply sculpted within the synth itself. Most people creating complex bass/sound design are recording the patch as an audio file, then applying further processing.

I don't really get into this genre with what I do, but I can usually hear what people are doing when creating patches. Some of the stuff people do, after they bounce it to audio; can be a little more tough to specifically interpret, especially with all the plug ins available these days.

Usually it can be reverse engineered to certain techniques. I would just rather not get into an extra long explanation if you are simply referring to one part of the process or the other, though. If you can be a little more specific, then I will try my best to help.

Back