Finding the key of sample...???

Chew_Bear

I am getting better at finding the key of samples. But what I have trouble with is...How can you tell/know if the sample is in major or minor...?

For example...I have a sample I am working on now and I know for sure its in 'G'. I just don't know if its major or minor...?

Use an online key finder...!!!

You could use an online key finder like the AudioKeychain. What you have to do, is to upload the song/sample as mp3 and it will find the key and also the tempo of the song/sample.

Last edited:
Download Edison (it's an audio editor which comes included with FL Studio) and use the "pitch detection" option. Then you will see all the keys, included the main note which the sample is structured around.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

There's plenty of youtube videos or google searches that could answer this question exponentially faster than a reply from this forum would.

Thats exactly what I am doing. I basically just choose one octave (c3-c4) on my piano roll. And I just play a note/key over the sample...over and over...until I find which note/key I feel sounds best 'on top' of the sample.

If I am having trouble hearing the key that something is in, I use the spectral analyzer in Ableton, which will actually tell you (in the recent versions) what key it is in once you drag the mouse over where the dominant harmonics are at. There are apps you could install on your phone that can do the same thing.

Can't believe no-one's mentioned it before but:

You can hear it!

Major and minor keys have very distinctive sounds that you can easily tell the difference between by listening to.

Back